"Ok Google! WTH!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Am I the only one experiencing problems with ok Google while my phone is locked? Google simply will not open and carry out commands from a locked screen. It refuses to set timers and it won't even turn on the flashlight. I have selected personal options in settings and I also have 5.1.1. I was hoping the update would fix the issue. If you've had the same issues please explain; and, if you had them and fixed them, then I'd love to get your input!

BTW, I am using the Google Nexus 6 on T-Mobile.

Posted via the Android Central App

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Why would you expect it to do anything if the phone is locked?

OK Google is way to powerful to allow anyone to just pick up a locked phone and issue commands.

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
ChillyWill I have the same problem as you with setting the timer from the lock screen. It doesn't do the last step of actually starting the timer. Here's the not so elegant workaround. Once the phone is awake and not executing your command, say OK Google again and repeat your command. At least for the timer it successfully starts it after the second try.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

OK Google is way to powerful to allow anyone to just pick up a locked phone and issue commands.

Because the phone is capable and some people may want this and aren't paranoid.

Anyway, I had this problem for a while while running 3 different custom roms. Sometimes it would work, and sometimes it wouldn't. I have since gone to stock android 5.1.1 and it's been good so far. Go to settings>Language and Input>Voice input then toggle between Enhanced and Basic. (ending up on Enhanced) But it may only be a temporary fix.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Am I the only one experiencing problems with ok Google while my phone is locked? Google simply will not open and carry out commands from a locked screen. It refuses to set timers and it won't even turn on the flashlight. I have selected personal options in settings and I also have 5.1.1. I was hoping the update would fix the issue. If you've had the same issues please explain; and, if you had them and fixed them, then I'd love to get your input!

BTW, I am using the Google Nexus 6 on T-Mobile.

Go to the Google settings app
Search & Now
Voice
OK Google detection
Always on

That should be enabled.
Then you should see the option right below it that says Personal Results. That should be enabled as well and then it should work.

If you have all that enabled and it still doesn't work then I'm unsure.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Good point.

Keep in mind that it is necessary to "train" the voice recognition to your own voice. I guess that is to get around the potential security issues when allowing OK Google to work on an otherwise locked phone.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
ChillyWill I have the same problem as you with setting the timer from the lock screen. It doesn't do the last step of actually starting the timer. Here's the not so elegant workaround. Once the phone is awake and not executing your command, say OK Google again and repeat your command. At least for the timer it successfully starts it after the second try.
This one does work in the short run, but it's wonky! Thanx!

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Google settings app
Search & Now
Voice
OK Google detection
Always on

That should be enabled.
Then you should see the option right below it that says Personal Results. That should be enabled as well and then it should work.

If you have all that enabled and it still doesn't work then I'm unsure.

Yea no! Didn't work. That's why I'm posting. Are you able to get ok Google to work from your lock screen? Seems the consensus is that it's not working despite personal results being on. I don't want to do a factory reset if nearly everyone that tries it is having the same issue.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Because the phone is capable and some people may want this and aren't paranoid.

Anyway, I had this problem for a while while running 3 different custom roms. Sometimes it would work, and sometimes it wouldn't. I have since gone to stock android 5.1.1 and it's been good so far. Go to settings>Language and Input>Voice input then toggle between Enhanced and Basic. (ending up on Enhanced) But it may only be a temporary fix.
Thank you sir, I tried this one too and it didn't work. Grrr! If it's a common problem I doubt that a factory reset will fix the issue; however, if it's working well for others on 5.1 or otherwise then I'll reset. It would be nice to set a timer without having to unlock the phone, but it just won't obey! Lol!

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
In reference to the person who asked why would you want to be able to use "OK Google" with the phone locked, 1st of all it is an extremely handy feature and secondly you can train your phone to use a different phrase other than "OK Google" (yes it can be done.) The way it works for me is, my personal phrase will open the phone when it is locked and allow me to do the things I wish to do. When the phone is unlocked, my personal phrase does not work so well BUT in those instances I just use the "OK Google" (Yes even though I trained the phone to recognize a different phrase, when unlocked it will still recognize "OK Google" and when locked it will not.)

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
In reference to the person who asked why would you want to be able to use "OK Google" with the phone locked, 1st of all it is an extremely handy feature and secondly you can train your phone to use a different phrase other than "OK Google" (yes it can be done.) The way it works for me is, my personal phrase will open the phone when it is locked and allow me to do the things I wish to do. When the phone is unlocked, my personal phrase does not work so well BUT in those instances I just use the "OK Google" (Yes even though I trained the phone to recognize a different phrase, when unlocked it will still recognize "OK Google" and when locked it will not.)

What exactly does this have to do with anything? Lol! The issue isn't about what catch phrase you can train your phone to recognize, but more importantly, how to get the phone to carry out commands while it's locked. It's a feature that should be available to us as it states when you select "personal results" within the Google launcher settings menu.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
What exactly does this have to do with anything? the first line in my comment indicates "In reference to the person who asked why would you want to be able to use "OK Google" with the phone locked," My comments are aimed at this person who commented regarding this in this very thread.

Further to address the issue that apparently is your sole focus.....

The issue isn't about what catch phrase you can train your phone to recognize, but more importantly, how to get the phone to carry out commands while it's locked Did you miss the part where I commented "my personal phrase will open the phone when it is locked and allow me to do the things I wish to do."

It's a feature that should be available to us as it states when you select "personal results" within the Google launcher settings menu. Sorry you are having trouble, but it works fine for me.

Best of both worlds in my opinion, I am able to do the things I wish to do with my phone LOCKED OR UNLOCKED, Locked using a phrase that NOBODY knows and unlocked using the standard OK Google phrase.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
What exactly does this have to do with anything? the first line in my comment indicates "In reference to the person who asked why would you want to be able to use "OK Google" with the phone locked," My comments are aimed at this person who commented regarding this in this very thread.

Further to address the issue that apparently is your sole focus.....

The issue isn't about what catch phrase you can train your phone to recognize, but more importantly, how to get the phone to carry out commands while it's locked Did you miss the part where I commented "my personal phrase will open the phone when it is locked and allow me to do the things I wish to do."

It's a feature that should be available to us as it states when you select "personal results" within the Google launcher settings menu. Sorry you are having trouble, but it works fine for me.

Best of both worlds in my opinion, I am able to do the things I wish to do with my phone LOCKED OR UNLOCKED, Locked using a phrase that NOBODY knows and unlocked using the standard OK Google phrase.

I tried your technique and the new phrase doesn't actually unlock the phone for me but it will tell me the time. It does the exact same thing as" ok Google" .It's the same fail when I ask Google to set a timer while the phone is locked. It will carry the instruction right up to really unlocking the phone, then it waits for me to enter a pin before it will complete the timer request. So, for me, there's no combination of catch phrases that will actually unlock the phone and allow me to complete a timer or even make a call when the screen is locked.

And,I really don't get your angst when you didn't actually offer a solution that works for me, which is the main reason I started the thread. I was simply looking for a workable solution. Thanks for your help....I'll keep looking if that's ok with you and glad that all is good with your phone and ok Google!

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
I was just answering your question Chilly, the one that was so pleasantly stated thus What exactly does this have to do with anything? Good Luck with your phone, maybe M will be an improvement......

DroidTron

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Just to reiterate I have the same exact problems with OK google commands from a locked screen. It's definitely a bug and I don't remember when it showed up. If I use a pin or pattern to unlock the screen I will encounter this issue. If I use swipe or no lock screen, OK google will behave as it should and run a command like timer or flashlight from an screen off and "not locked" state.

Hope they fix this soon.

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just to reiterate I have the same exact problems with OK google commands from a locked screen. It's definitely a bug and I don't remember when it showed up. If I use a pin or pattern to unlock the screen I will encounter this issue. If I use swipe or no lock screen, OK google will behave as it should and run a command like timer or flashlight from an screen off and "not locked" state.

Hope they fix this soon.

It was working before 5.1

CHILLYWILL_95831

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
It was working before 5.1

Ok, so I have noticed that an update was done to Google search and it seems that I can now make a phone call while the screen is locked. However, ok Google will not turn on the flashlight, send a text, nor will it set a countdown timer from a locked screen. But, it's progress to be able to make a phone call with the ok Google command while the screen is locked.

sleerf

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site

I've heard this argument several times. What exactly is the phone so capable of doing while it is locked? Calling someone? Sending someone a text message? Making an appointment on the calendar? Taking a note? I just don't get it. You can't unlock the phone with OK Google. The lock screen remains on. You can't browse the contents of the phone, look at the pics, etc. The worst I can see is someone being able to send a text (without attachment) or call someone while pretending they are you. Am I missing something here?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phantom3SE