Android M - Any people using it?

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey there all,

Just curious to know if anyone has been running with the new Android M developer preview? Am really curious to know if people are seeing any improvement in battery life with the new snooze feature. Please share your thoughts. Thanks

Posted via the Android Central App

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Too early to load on your day to today device. If you have an extra device for playing around, then by all means, have fun. After all, it's called developer preview image for a reason :)

eao1991

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Too early to load on your day to today device. If you have an extra device for playing around, then by all means, have fun. After all, it's called developer preview image for a reason :)

Been using it as my daily driver since it got released and I have no issues running it on my Verizon account. Not saying bugs don't exist, but for my use and the apps I have, it has been running as good as lollipop. Calls work, sms/mms are fine, and data/wifi connections are stable.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I loaded it and took a look at it for a bit... its mostly a progression of Lollipop rather than a completely new OS (like going from KK to LP was).

It seemed pretty stable and I had just about everything up and running, I was pleasently suprised that M included the T-Mobile WiFi calling stuff, which leads me to assume that WiFi Calling will be natively supported in Android moving forward (although the carriers all have to support it).

I have it loaded in MultiROM, so I can bounce back and forth between 5.1.1 (TMo's WFC build) and M....

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
its mostly a progression of Lollipop rather than a completely new OS (like going from KK to LP was).

It is afterall, a continuation of Android 5.X, not like going from android 4 to 5. When android 6 comes out, then you can expect major changes. Why people are expecting big UI changes, I don't know. Material design is here for a while.

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
I ran android M for a day then went back to lollipop. It's definitely a preview, lots of app crashes. I think it's going to be a solid release in November, lots of good stuff.

Posted via the Android Central App

rjl2

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Been thinking about trying M on MultiROM. Is it correct that if I install MultiROM and use the patched 5.1.1 kernel on TMO's latest build (which will be the primary ROM) I will lose WiFi calling on the primary ROM since its a modified kernel? But that booting M as the secondary would give me WiFi calling back?

maj71303

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Running M on my N6 and other than some apps not playing nice with it I'm impressed. For a preview it is relatively stable and WiFi calling works with my T-mobile sim.

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
...I was pleasently suprised that M included the T-Mobile WiFi calling stuff, which leads me to assume that WiFi Calling will be natively supported in Android moving forward (although the carriers all have to support it).
That is awesome! Since it seems like it'll be supported at the OS level now, that leads to the possibility that older devices running M might get support for it, maybe? Such as the 2013 Nexus 5?

My friend owns one and is stubbornly attached to it 😛. She kind of sort of envies the fact that my Nexus 6 now has the ability to do WiFi Calling (a feature she loves because, according to her, her house is a "cellphone dead zone") when hers doesn't, though both of our devices are on 5.1.1 Lollipop.

Last edited:

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That is awesome! Since it seems like it'll be supported at the OS level now, that leads to the possibility that older devices running M might get support for it, maybe? Such as the 2013 Nexus 5?

Hard to say... Not only does WFC need hooks to the system level software, it also requires new radio firmware. If you were to have me put money down, I would say that I wouldn't expect to see WFC on the Nexus 5 due to its age. The phone is now coming up on its 2nd birthday and by the time M is released, it will be two generations back.

This might just be a Nexus 6 only thing, of course, but it might also be an attempt to a) standardize Wi-Fi Calling on Android and b) incentivize OEMs and carriers to include it with their phones.