NEXUS 6: Where's the love?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure why Google isn't promoting the N6 the way Samsung promotes the Galaxy S6. I've had the chance to use the N6 for a couple of weeks and it is a fantastic device. I also have an Iphone 6, 64 GB and, for me, the Nexus is the superior device in the way I use it. My only complaint is that I have a 32 GB Verizon model and I don't feel comfortable with fighting with Verizon to use a 64 GB Google or Motorola version. The only small thing I miss on the N6 is AirPlay where I can just use it to turn on my Denon amp and listen to music. I know the N6 has this capability but I don't want to root it now. Other than that, it is smooth and very fast and the screen is fantastic. I also like the larger form factor. I liked it enough to make it my daily driver now.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google has historically never been very good at (or seemed interested in) heavily marketing Nexus devices, so it's nothing new, unfortunately. The fact that Project Fi is only compatible with the Nexus 6 could be seen as one way of promoting it, I guess.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Mine is a none VZ nexus 6 as well that I activated at the store. They guy was like, did u buy the phone from VZ? I said no but I'm here to activate it hehehehe. Had VZ note 4 at the time.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
They advertised the N7 pretty heavily.

Regardless I absolutely love this phone. I'll give it some love. Every night...

zkyevolved

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... Interesting. I don't know. Maybe there's nothing "that special" about the Nexus 6? Is it a fantastic phone? YES! But does it have anything truly special about it? I honestly can't say so...
Fantastic camera? No
Fantastic battery life? No
Fantastic display? No
Waterproof or dustproof? No
Rugged? No

Look at the other devices:
LG G4 - camera and expandability.
Note 4 - S-pen and expandability.
GS6/E - Style and very premium build (not saying that the Nexus doesn't feel good, I personally love it and picked it for its build - in respect to other phones).
Xperia phones - premium build and IP specifications
HTC - Premium build and boomsound speakers or whatever they want to call them.

I see these being advertised all the time.

Nexus 6 - pure google... And it's large! and good build quality. I don't see any of the last 2 options being advertised

Maybe it's a jack of all traits, and master of none...

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 6 is the best phone I ever had
Camera top 5
Battery top 3
Speed top 1
Screen top 5
Updates top 1
Smoothness top 1
Radios top 3
Build top 3

Everything is special about this phone

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... Interesting. I don't know. Maybe there's nothing "that special" about the Nexus 6? Is it a fantastic phone? YES! But does it have anything truly special about it? I honestly can't say so...
Fantastic camera? No
Fantastic battery life? No
Fantastic display? No
Waterproof or dustproof? No
Rugged? No

Look at the other devices:
LG G4 - camera and expandability.
Note 4 - S-pen and expandability.
GS6/E - Style and very premium build (not saying that the Nexus doesn't feel good, I personally love it and picked it for its build - in respect to other phones).
Xperia phones - premium build and IP specifications
HTC - Premium build and boomsound speakers or whatever they want to call them.

I see these being advertised all the time.

Nexus 6 - pure google... And it's large! and good build quality. I don't see any of the last 2 options being advertised

Maybe it's a jack of all traits, and master of none...
It has software which is smooth, buttery, fast, no lag in 5.1.1 compared to all those devices. I couldn't tolerate G4, S6 and sold them both after using for a month. For me software is important than other features as long as the other features are good if not the best. And Nexus 6 hardware, camera, battery all are good so works fine. The only thing for me is the size but again that's personal preference. For normal people software may not be important criteria otherwise they wouldn't be buying the useless crapped up carrier branded phones with ugly logos (excluding iPhone since Apple tells the carriers to **** off)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Nexus 6 is awesome. I think they should do a little more advertising too. it's feature IS Pure ANDROID.
My brother just picked one up a few weeks ago, he loves it.

anon(777192)

May 3, 2012
Visit site
I've been looking at the Nexus family big thing I like is the software updates for the devices in the family of Nexus phone and tablets. It would be nice to have a device over two yrs old still able to upgrade to newer android versions. Really getting tired of buying a new phone every other yr.

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
The software is great but the other things not so much...

Some of this is personal preference but the thing is big and feels like a rock in my pants. Sometimes if i sit down, a piece of the phone will pop out of my pants pocket. It was hard to manage in one hand.

The biggest thing I hated about his phone is not having double tap to wake. I rooted it to get this feature but it did not work nearly as good as my HTC m8 GPE. Sometimes I would have to tap it 5 times to wake up.

Most will defend the battery life, but overall it is really "meh". First time I had to really baby a smart phone when traveling to make sure I had enough juice left to finish the journey.

One things that was happening to me was random reboots. Two weeks ago, there was a day where is was rebooting every 30 minutes. Then the next day it stopped and didn't do it again for a while. The final straw was when it rebooted last week once and that was it for me. I can't have that worry in the back of mind if my phone has rebooted because I have the pin on start enabled so if it reboots it will not boot all the way up until I enter the pin.

I traded it in using tmobile jump for the lg g4. I miss the stock experience but lg's UI isn't horrible. I did have to disable some apps and widgets. The camera is much better, a lighter phone, a little smaller and removable battery. I get about 1hr and 30min SOT more than i did with the nexus 6.

I can't wait till the hopefully LG made Nexus 5 comes out

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
They could advertise with :
Google Nexus
"Experience Pure Android With All its Beauty & Smoothness!"
"Experience As it Was Meant!"

Posted on Nexus6 via the AC App

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The biggest thing I hated about his phone is not having double tap to wake. I rooted it to get this feature but it did not work nearly as good as my HTC m8 GPE. Sometimes I would have to tap it 5 times to wake up.

Ambient display is so much better it makes me lolz irl.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah... Once I got used to ambient display, dt2w is a distant memory. The kernel I have has a implementation if dt2w that is rock-solid reliable, but I don't even bother to turn it on. All I have to do is pick up the phone or take it of my pocket. And the pulse screen of AD is great.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
A dedicated tap-to-wake function would come in handy for those of us who use flip cases/wallets. Ambient display typically does not activate when I open the lid of my flipcase: it does once in a while in a laggy kind of oh-you-again fashion, but mostly I need to tap the power button to wake it up.

That said, tho, I don't know if that's an N6 shortcoming or a case-specific problem. The StilGut case on my OPO wakes the phone everytime I open the lid, but an earlier version of that case from the same company did not wake the phone. Go know.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
My only issue with this phone is where to take it should I crack the screen, or if it needs any other repair. It's not as if I can take it to a local place and have it repaired and in my hands the same day. Most local shops carry only Apple and Samsung parts, obviously.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
My only issue with this phone is where to take it should I crack the screen, or if it needs any other repair. It's not as if I can take it to a local place and have it repaired and in my hands the same day. Most local shops carry only Apple and Samsung parts, obviously.

I try to not worry about those things. I haven't cracked a phones screen or needed it maintenanced in years (All those phones in my Sig, other than the X2 which I got from insurance upgrade). If I did I would file an insurance claim, and yes I do agree that having phone insurance is too expensive and not worth it but I have it for this reason

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nayminthuyain888