Nexus 6 Successor: Will the grass really be greener?

jimbo1mcm

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site
I've only had my N6 for a couple of weeks but I've been devouring rumors of the next Nexus device. I have a couple of problems with what might be coming out. I kind of think Google will limit the size to either 5.2 or 5.5 inches, since the N6 hasn't sold in the quantities they anticipated. I really like the 5.96 inch N6 screen. Since LG looks like the manufacturer the front speakers will probably go away. Not good. I like the Active Display feature and that will be gone. Wireless charging? Maybe, maybe not. I am not going to put a stupid folding case on a phone to get wireless charging. So maybe, if you have a N6 as I do, you might find that the King might still be King next year!!

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
We will see. As I have a severe case of upgraditis I'm always look for the next phone. So far the Nexus 6 has turned back a challangers

Posted via the Android Central App

mikepas

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I might be able to stomach a slightly smaller screen (no smaller than 5.7 inches) but if it's made by Huewi (sp?) then it's a no-go for me. I've handled a few of their devices and they do not impress at all in the build quality and I very much like having front facing speakers. I also like the fact that Motorola knows more about putting radios in mobile devices than just about any other manufacturer out there. I get a better signal with my Nexus 6 in more places than any other Android phone I've owned to date.

And if it is packing a Snapdragon 810 that alone would be enough to run me off.

maverick7526

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I might be able to stomach a slightly smaller screen (no smaller than 5.7 inches) but if it's made by Huewi (sp?) then it's a no-go for me. I've handled a few of their devices and they do not impress at all in the build quality and I very much like having front facing speakers. I also like the fact that Motorola knows more about putting radios in mobile devices than just about any other manufacturer out there. I get a better signal with my Nexus 6 in more places than any other Android phone I've owned to date.

And if it is packing a Snapdragon 810 that alone would be enough to run me off.

I'd have to agree 100% I could stomach a 5.7"screen, but I love the size of the N6. Going smaller would be harder, but doable. Idk about Huawei, they usually make some low end devices, I'd be willing to give them a shot. If the next Nexii options don't impress, I can see this phone lasting another year.

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
If current trends continue, probably not. Current trends being flagship pricing for a middling camera, an increasing influence over updates by carriers unlike earlier nexus phones, and access to early updates that don't sort out issues until you would've received the update from an OEM phone anyway.

choclab1

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I really want to stay with the 6in screen. It would be really hard trying to go smaller now. Just image having a 60in TV then go back to a 42in, it aint going to feel right.
I like the front facing speakers but it doesn't matter to me one way or the other, I normally use ear buds. But the wireless charging is a MUST HAVE feature that needs to stay. I have spent too much on wireless chargers since the N5 to throw that away now.

Posted via Nexus 6

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, there's a couple of things that give me pause. First, like you said, is screen size. Yes, the rumors are that LG will be making another Nexus, and that it will be in the 5.2 range. The front speakers most likely go away, but then again, we'll get other improvements. But there is also a rumor that Huawei will be making a larger screen, 5.7"... this one might be a bit more digestible I guess.

But its the processors that I'm most concerned about. The SD 808 is good, but I won't even sniff at a phone with the 810 in it... it is a dog, plain and simple. Revisions or not, the flaws with that particular SoC are fatal and can't be fixed unless they completely retooled it (which they aren't). Yes, the 808 is available, and from what I've read, LG will grab it for the smaller. But the larger? If it has the 810... all set with that.

And since I don't think I want to go back to a 5 to 5.2 phone....might be sticking around with what I got for a while.

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Well, there's a couple of things that give me pause. First, like you said, is screen size. Yes, the rumors are that LG will be making another Nexus, and that it will be in the 5.2 range. The front speakers most likely go away, but then again, we'll get other improvements. But there is also a rumor that Huawei will be making a larger screen, 5.7"... this one might be a bit more digestible I guess.

But its the processors that I'm most concerned about. The SD 808 is good, but I won't even sniff at a phone with the 810 in it... it is a dog, plain and simple. Revisions or not, the flaws with that particular SoC are fatal and can't be fixed unless they completely retooled it (which they aren't). Yes, the 808 is available, and from what I've read, LG will grab it for the smaller. But the larger? If it has the 810... all set with that.

And since I don't think I want to go back to a 5 to 5.2 phone....might be sticking around with what I got for a while.

I wonder what real world difference would be noticed between the 808 and the current 805 in our Nexus 6 devices as well. I doubt it would be much if any difference. I don't see buying a smaller phone for an unnoticeable performance bump.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs