Android M Preview 2

bkircher

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
Hey there guys

Just curious if anyone has tried the new build and have found it to be more stable than the first build and could use it as a daily driver. I tried preview 1 but I personally felt it was 2 buggy.

Feedback is appreciated!

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey there guys

Just curious if anyone has tried the new build and have found it to be more stable than the first build and could use it as a daily driver. I tried preview 1 but I personally felt it was 2 buggy.

Feedback is appreciated!
Works better for me. If my mlb app would work I'd be all set!

Othoric

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
To be perfectly honest, I personally thought the second Dev Preview was even more buggy than the first. That's not to say it didn't have some perks though. I got good battery life, and I loved the smooth animations. However, I definitely wouldn't call it daily driver material. Some things, like games, were still pretty laggy in spots. One of the many custom kernels for Android M could possibly fix this, but even so, I personally wasn't too happy with keeping it for longer than a day or two to try out the new features.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

pony182

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
I tried using it as daily driver, but eventually switched back to 5.1.1. There are occasional bugs here and there, my major problem was with OK Google not working the right way and battery percentage not showing correct value (quick google search will show you it's common issue). Some apps didn't work (like Snapchat), and after updating apps in google play store you couldn't press the "back" button, you had to hit "home" etc. On a positive side, feels veeeery smooth (except for random freeze once in a while), animations are great, battery seems to improve, even with that display bug, charges a lot faster, etc. I'll wait for preview 3 and probably use that as my daily driver.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
As far as previews are concerned, it's pretty close to DD territory. I mean, it is a matter of when, not if, you run into a problem with it... it isn't fully completed yet. So it all comes down to if the issue you run into is a big enough pain in the **** to push you off it. For me, most everything works. It is stable, smooth, runs great. Not having decent battery monitoring tools stinks, but I can deal. The one thing that will be a problem for me is that the hotspot appears to be busted... devices can connect, but they can't get outside. It's only an issue when my daughter needs it to connect with her non-activated Moto G...

Of course, that's what MultiROM is for. :)

berdinkerdickle

Nov 18, 2008
Visit site
I watched the DroidLife video on M Preview 2 and he made the comments that he doesn't understand why anyone would want a Landscape homescreen.
I use it when I have my phone setup in my car holder. That way everything is Landscape.
I always thought it was odd we couldn't landscape our homescreen. When I'm using several apps in in Landscape, I found it cumbersome that I could switch through apps all in landscape, all except the homescreen.
I welcome the addition of having a landscape homescreen option.

Posted on Nexus6 via the AC App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I watched the DroidLife video on M Preview 2 and he made the comments that he doesn't understand why anyone would want a Landscape homescreen. I use it when I have my phone setup in my car holder.

He probably just didn't think of that use case. I kind of agree with him though, looking at it, unless its mounted like that... I could take it or leave it. I will admit that its a bit awkward if I am watching a video or game in landsacpe to go back to the home screen... but if I am holding the thing, its no effort to rotate it.

Zendroid1

Trusted Member
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Also how does battery life compare to what you all were getting in preview 1?

Battery life for me is tricky because of my battery indicator issue but I drained my phone to zero last night at an attempt to fix it. I streamed an HD video on YouTube at full brightness for 6.5 hours before it died. It streamed the video for over another hour after I hit 1% so my battery indicator is definitely off. And it was already unplugged all day at this point, but not used all day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463