Seriously, no Inline images in email on Android?

fattchris

Apr 13, 2016
Visit site
Sadly, you can't. I've searched high and low, and it's not possible.

Also, ignore the folks above who can't seem to figure out the difference between "inline" and "file attachment." When confronted with their own short comings, it's easier to just call you a troll than think about your question.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I have tried many email clients (Gmail, Nine, Blue, Aqua, etc. and found no way to insert photos inline into an email.

However, I too use the Gmail Android app and am not able to insert inline images, but attachments work fine.
Now, I understand Google claims it works. https:// support.google .com/inbox/ answer/ 6080149?hl=en (Sorry, can't post links yet here; just remove spaces where applicable)

You've shown that you can stack the images as attachments, not that you can insert images within the body of an email. Also, I've attached many an image in the Gmail app, but I've never seen the attachments also show up within the body of an email as inline images.

Gotcha. The "only as an attachment" was my focus. Just trying to help:D

Sadly, you can't. I've searched high and low, and it's not possible.

The current version of Inbox app (by Google) does support inline images. Type text, insert photo, add text, insert another photo, and so on. I guess this capability was recently added.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I guess this is specific to the Inbox app. Is there any other reason to use that instead of the Gmail app?

I see that there's an option in the Gmail app to "Insert from Drive" under the Paperclip/attachments icon, but only from Drive. And the images themselves still do not show up in the body of the text, just links/placeholders for the images, even if you open the emails on a PC. I wonder if the Gmail app will get the same treatment someday?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Inbox is a different approach to managing Email - I toggled back and forth twice - couldn't bring myself to get used to Inbox! lol! But I've switched to inbox now and have been using it for a few months - and don't intend to switch back to gmail app :)
The only thing I don't like about inbox app is that it doesn't have a universal inbox (for multiple accounts).But it has the option to snooze a message, or pin messages, or have it add a reminder to reply to a message.

I suspect the insert from drive option is not really adding the image to the Email - but is instead providing a link to the image in your Drive account - that may be why you don't see the image itself n the body - not certain - haven't used the gmail app in a few months now :)

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
Inbox by Google does it. Who still uses Gmail app anyway? Inbox app created by non but google is fantastic.

vqt

Sep 19, 2016
Visit site
You can get close to an inline photo by saving the photo to Drive. Then when you touch Attach, you can select "Insert from Drive" and a space holder with the photo's file name will pop into place in the message body. Unfortunately it's just a box with the name, not the image, and it opens on the other side in Android as the same box, but it's still an easy way to get the reader's eye and the apps to open it appear automatically below it. If someone can figure out how to get the insert to show as the actual image please share.

sasa yaan

Jan 3, 2015
Visit site
Aquamail can inserting photo inline and resized it by many sizes. But most email by mobil still does not have tab function to make your writing result more tidy up. I am using tablet with bluetooth keyboard the Tab function look disabled. The tab can function good while you write in office document such as ms. word, or mobisystem office application.
DSC_0125.jpg

Kiat Huang

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It's an old thread, but still relevant. I agree with the OP on every point about his frustration with the Gmail android app, though I am a huge Linux fan and not a fan of Mac products. How big a fan? I've been using Linux at home and work, almost exclusively since 1996. For over 7 years, I worked as a Linux Sysadmin and then head of global internal Linux (and other mobile) desktop support for the granddaddy of Linux companies, Red Hat. Then I spent over 8 years at Google running teams that looked after thousands of a Linux and Mac systems. Also I'm an early adopter, huge fan & massive user of Google products, ever since they've first released them. Their products are in my blood and Google is a wonderful company to work for, full of the brightest, most motivated, highly communicative and inventive people, that you'll work with.

However I have always had these two big gripes around Google products and that they were never fixed was, and is, frustrating.

1. No inline images in Gmail. Google's
Absolutely unacceptable. There is such brainpower and deep technical skill in Google that it could always have been fixed. Inbox Android app (which had no editable text formatting!) di, but is deprecated in a few days!

2. When responding to a Google+ post with an image, you could not also add an image!
So if there was a "show me yours" thread or one about anything with a picture in it, you could not meaningfully, i.e. pictorially, continue the conversation. Crazy! G+ is dead and with the G+ leadership decision-making (and I include the CEO in that group) it's not surprising.

It is telling that both massive oversights are related to sharing of images.

Likewise Picasa, the photo management web service, had a very dedicated army of fans, but, also now dead.

If just 5% of Google+ resources had been instead spent on the Gmail app (web, android) the product would have been superb.

Solution (workaround) with Android Gmail, as others have said is edit your inline image elsewhere then copy over to Gmail. Same thing I used to do with formatted (bold, italic) text in Inbox, which had no formatting, by copying it over from Gmail.

Last edited:

archandel

Apr 6, 2019
Visit site
This topic still ranks high in Google Search: so, this is to let know the unhappy ones that Nine email (paid) supports inline images with its Rich Text editor.

(I switched from K9 Mail to Maildroid a year ago and then to Nine three weeks ago. So far, quite happy.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781