Why can't I connect my Nexus 6 camera?

A

AC Question

Nexus 6: Cannot connect to camera (Nexus 6)

Error occurs when I try to switch to panoramic camera mode. To recover camera after that I clear cache and data and reboot phone, then I can use the front and rear facing cameras in snapshot mode.

The error also occurs running other apps such as my bank's app to take a photo of a check to deposit. In that case I need to reboot phone to stop the continuous error message "Cannot connect to camera".

I've had a previous issue where my Nexus 6 would not connect to the camera at all even in snapshot mode, but after a couple of factory resets and a few days, the camera worked again, but apparently not in panoramic mode.

Since the camera works at least in in snapshot mode, I'm wondering if this is software or if it is a hardware issue. Phone is still under 1 year factory warranty.

Is this a known issue?
Thanks all.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6: Cannot connect to camera (Nexus 6)

Error occurs when I try to switch to panoramic camera mode. To recover camera after that I clear cache and data and reboot phone, then I can use the front and rear facing cameras in snapshot mode.

The error also occurs running other apps such as my bank's app to take a photo of a check to deposit. In that case I need to reboot phone to stop the continuous error message "Cannot connect to camera".

I've had a previous issue where my Nexus 6 would not connect to the camera at all even in snapshot mode, but after a couple of factory resets and a few days, the camera worked again, but apparently not in panoramic mode.

Since the camera works at least in in snapshot mode, I'm wondering if this is software or if it is a hardware issue. Phone is still under 1 year factory warranty.

Is this a known issue?
Thanks all.
I don't think this is a known issue, and clearing cache (system settings > applications > sort by all > camera > clear cache) usually fixes the problem. Does the problem occur immediately after a reset? If not, then it could be another app that you are using which is causing the problem. I would suggests another reset and install apps slowly until the problem returns. If it does then you can hopefully trace it to the last downloaded app (delete that app).

bseaver

Jul 21, 2015
Visit site
Trying to switch the camera to Panaramic or other modes, causes the camera to issue the message "Camera error / Can't connect to camera." The camera app does not allow me to switch the mode back to snapshot.

Under Settings/Apps/Camera I need to reset Data to get the camera app to work after trying to go to Panoramic, Sphere, Blur or Video mode. Reset cache alone does not seem to help. An essential part of recovery seems to be to to make the camera app forget which non-working mode it was last in and return to rear facing snapshot mode. From there I'm able to take good snapshots so long as I stick with either front or rear facing camera in snapshot mode. Once I try another mode such as video or panoramic, I get "Camera error / Can't connect to camera." again and must visit Settings/Apps/Camera/Reset Data again.

Booting in Safe Mode does not prevent my Nexus 6 camera app from having the same problem.

Also,about a month ago I was unable to use the camera at all. I had been working outside in the heat and wondered if sweat had caused that error. A couple of factory resets without reloading old apps did not solve that problem, but the camera came back (at least partially as described above) in a week or so. (Did it dry out?).

So I'm wondering it it is one of: water damaged from sweat, defective or software related glitch. I'm worried it is sweat, wishing it was software (and fixable), and if not fixable - hoping it is a warranty covered hardware issue.

Thanks and hopes this helps others if not me.

Funkpod

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6: Cannot connect to camera (Nexus 6)

Did you get a fix for this? I have a similar problem going from Regular to Video mode.

Adam Ziarnik

Apr 19, 2015
Visit site
FWIW, I had this happen on a 6P a few times - but it was when cycling through the video frame rate options. When hitting the highest frame rate (I don't remember what it is, but it's a higher frame rate than I can ever reasonably see myself needing to use) sometimes this error occurs, but power cycling the device takes care of the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xd3dp1gX