T-Mobile n6

marty.brown

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Khalid, Leo Laporte, host of the This Week In Google podcast reported just last week that he moved his Nexus 6 from T-Mobile to Project Fi without any issues. (He DID say he regretted activating his phone using his Google Voice phone number.) What wasn't 100% clear was if the Nexus 6 he used with T-Mo was originally a T-Mo phone. T-Mo does not sell locked phones, but that doesn't mean that there won't be some non-uninstallable T-Mobile crapware on the phone.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
T-Mobile Nexus 6 has ZERO crapware. Not even a T-Mobile logo. They are exactly the same as a Nexus 6 from Google with one exception: A T-Mobile N6 has WiFi calling built-in.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

Kwjmac

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Until I put my t-mobile Sim card in, my N6 had no different than one purchased at the play store/motor direct.

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The only thing that T-Mobile loads on to their Nexus 6's is the My Account app... which actually comes via the SIM registration, not actually preloaded into the image. The only T-Mobile bits are under the cover stuff... like Wifi Calling and VoLTE code.

All you need to do is load the Fi-specific image (which you should do anyhow).

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
The only thing that T-Mobile loads on to their Nexus 6's is the My Account app... which actually comes via the SIM registration, not actually preloaded into the image. The only T-Mobile bits are under the cover stuff... like Wifi Calling and VoLTE code.

Also you can delete the T-Mobile app which I do because it always runs in the background and drains battery.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Oops...I forgot about the T-Mobile utility app. But you can uninstall it, a rare thing for carrier stuff. I actually use it a little, so I left it there but with almost everything disabled.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oops...I forgot about the T-Mobile utility app. But you can uninstall it, a rare thing for carrier stuff. I actually use it a little, so I left it there but with almost everything disabled.

That My T-Mobile app... got mixed feelings about that sucker... on one hand, it provides good information about my account... but the problem is that it also loads up all that monitoring junk. If you leave it with the stock settings, it generates a ton of absolutely useless wakelocks. But that only gets loaded if you do a 'first boot' with the T-Mobile SIM in there.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That My T-Mobile app... got mixed feelings about that sucker... on one hand, it provides good information about my account... but the problem is that it also loads up all that monitoring junk

I just use the mobile site if I need info about my account (or request desktop). I didn't install the My Account app on my International G4 due to its random draining issues.

stsullivan

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
If I have a nextus 6 from tmobile and want to try At&t service will it work? I'm still making payments on it have bad service with tmobile .thanks for all your help

Posted via the Android Central App

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Yes... The Nexus 6 works on every US carrier. To get the most out of it, you'd want to load the factory image that is matched with the carrier.

Verizon is a special case though. Do people still have to activate their SIM on a Verizon phone before switching it over to the Nexus 6? I know that was how it was on launch, but they might have adjusted that since.