Nexus 6 -Launchers

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, if the nexus 6 is rooted, if you download a third party launcher, can you delete the stock Google launcher? The only reason I would want to, is because other launchers might have more features but I really do love the Google launcher a lot... just figured I would ask once.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I always run Nova on any phone, but I usually have 5 or 6 launchers installed, in case someone asks a question about where to find something on one of them. (Even on my old Gingerbread phone, with almost no storage, I had 3 launchers installed.)

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Why delete it? Just use the new launcher as your default. The stock launcher will take up very little room.
I guess it's just a feeling of guilt more than anything else not using the stock Google launcher no I was asking for custom icons and whatnot but I suppose I can deal with you google launches still I love the Google now cards and whatnot and I'm not sure of any other launcher features that.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
I guess it's just a feeling of guilt more than anything else not using the stock Google launcher no I was asking for custom icons and whatnot but I suppose I can deal with you google launches still I love the Google now cards and whatnot and I'm not sure of any other launcher features that.

If Google doesn't feel guilty about what they do to you I don't think you should feel guilty about deleting a piece of their software from YOUR phone.

from the Elegance

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If Google doesn't feel guilty about what they do to you I don't think you should feel guilty about deleting a piece of their software from YOUR phone.

from the Elegance
Do any other launchers feature of the Google now cards?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Well, you don't need to delete the Google launcher at all. Just try Nova, Go, Apex, Next, Action or whatever and make that your default and if you don't like it you can instantly switch back to Google's launcher.

from the Elegance

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, you don't need to delete the Google launcher at all. Just try Nova, Go, Apex, Next, Action or whatever and make that your default and if you don't like it you can instantly switch back to Google's launcher.

from the Elegance
That's true I can always give it a shot. Thanks for the help.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Google now cards are independent of the launcher. I use Nova Prime launcher and Google now cards show up when I swipe up from the bottom.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Google now cards are independent of the launcher. I use Nova Prime launcher and Google now cards show up when I swipe up from the bottom.
Ok, so let me get this straight. You use Nova prime launcher and you still get the Google now cards? But you said, that's extremely important to me why I love Android

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Having GoogleNow essentially be one of the homescreens is limited to the Google Launcher. Which I really tried to like, but I missed my Nova customization too much (Heck, on a 6 inch screen, 5x5 icons looked too big, I went 6x6).

It is a bit redundant when you can just swipe up from the home button and get it, or configure an action for swiping up from Nova's app drawer button. Ultimately, the lack of configurability in the GoogleNow launcher is what made me give up on it. I prefer flexibility.