Location settings

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so should this location settings be better for Google Apps? Regarding battery drain? If I put it on the battery saver mode, that means if I could get my Google Maps it won't work correctly and I will have to switch it back anyways to high accuracy. But I'm GPS only my Google Maps still works but will that still save me battery versus the high accuracy mode?

Okay, so a bit of an update, I did learn on the internet that tool apps use tons of GPS location settings so does everyone toggle their location on and off as to when they need it versus when they don't need it in the quick toggle settings?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so should this location settings be better for Google Apps? Regarding battery drain? If I put it on the battery saver mode, that means if I could get my Google Maps it won't work correctly and I will have to switch it back anyways to high accuracy. But I'm GPS only my Google Maps still works but will that still save me battery versus the high accuracy mode?

Okay, so a bit of an update, I did learn on the internet that tool apps use tons of GPS location settings so does everyone toggle their location on and off as to when they need it versus when they don't need it in the quick toggle settings?

I just leave my location on all the time.(high accuracy mode).
I do leave Google Location History turned off under Settings>Location>Location services tho.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just leave my location on all the time.(high accuracy mode).
I do leave Google Location History turned off under Settings>Location>Location services tho.
How's your battery? Because on my Nexus 6, by the end of my work shift on battery smoke and I barely use it my battery doesn't last very long are 10% of my juices going on location based Google application so something's up I'm going to try location off today and see if that works just put it on demand for Google Maps...

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How's your battery? Because on my Nexus 6, by the end of my work shift on battery smoke and I barely use it my battery doesn't last very long are 10% of my juices going on location based Google application so something's up I'm going to try location off today and see if that works just put it on demand for Google Maps...

My battery gets me though the day easy. But I am not on it for long periods of time though the work day.
So have you tried the GSam Battery Monitor to see for sure its what is using the battery ?

Yeah never hurts to experiment by turning it off to see if improves

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
My battery gets me though the day easy. But I am not on it for long periods of time though the work day.
So have you tried the GSam Battery Monitor to see for sure its what is using the battery ?

Yeah never hurts to experiment by turning it off to see if improves
Don't get me wrong my battery lasts me through the day I'm going to see if I get it any longer battery power with the location off completely on the man like I said before. I'll update and see what happens

Stevecu

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Having location services on Power Saving mode is handy, setting it to Off breaks too many handy features (location based Now Cards comes to mind).

But the GPS is a battery suck, and probably 90% of us only want it on when using Maps.

Google should really make it easier for us to toggle GPS without disabling the location service altogether. Better still turn it on automatically when Maps is launched and turn it off when we exit Navigation.

Why isn't everyone screaming bloody murder about this?

Last edited:

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Having location services on Power Saving mode is handy, setting it to Off breaks too many handy features (location based Now Cards comes to mind).

But the GPS is a battery suck, and probably 90% of us only want it on when using Maps.

Google should really make it easier for us to toggle GPS without disabling the location service altogether. Better still turn it on automatically when Maps is launched and turn it off when we exit Navigation.

Why isn't everyone screaming bloody murder about this?
Will tell you something without the gps, you're right about 20 GPS off its not that it breaks too many features as you said there's a lot of battery. So turned on on demand when I needed. A lot of other people are suggesting to turn off the adaptive brightness in order to save more battery and to manually adjust the brightness settings. That's annoying as hell. What I want to try to do any is of course leaving my ambien display off (I've for the triple tap to wake feature enabled) and turn adaptive brightness back on leaving my brightness settings on the lowest possible settings and turn GPS on only when I need it. That should hopefully work...

John Sandoval

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Hey, you may already be aware but Facebook is a huge battery vampire. I deleted FB and FB messenger from my 2014 Moto X and my battery performance improved dramatically, like 30% more at the end of my day. Not sure if you have FB on your phone but it could be a culprit.