T-Mobile Nexus 6 Signal Bars !

Ethere

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey all. I recently switched to T-Mobile, and picked up a Nexus 6 from them. I love the phone (the network leaves a lot to be desired) but I'm running into one issue I can't stand.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zu_XxzqZIzPGCSNdQZ1e5qCCLP3FYRxE1w/view?usp=sharing

When I leave WiFi range, the phone should reconnect to the cellular data network. I shouldn't have to do anything else. However, as you can see in the screenshot, I get the ! next to the signal bars indicating no data connectivity. I am unable to do anything that requires access to the internet on the phone until I reboot it. I've tried turning off cellular data, turning on and off WiFi, putting the phone in airplane mode...nothing works. Is this a Lollipop bug or is this a phone issue? T-Mobile is sending me a replacement device, but I am just wondering if that is not going to fix the issue. Any assistance would be great! Thanks!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Had you taken all the updates? I remember hearing about that issue during an earlier release of Android... 5.0.2, 5.1... can't remember exactly when, but there was a problem affecting some phones where the data handoff wasn't being handled correctly and people would see exactly what you were seeing.

Is the phone on the latest 5.1.1 build? (most likely LYZ28E)

I just remembered.... I think some have reported similar behavior after they manually flashed the newest build (LMY48I). But I haven't read much about that.

But if they are sending you a new phone, you might be fine. Near as I can tell, the problem was isolated and not all that widespread. On the LYZ28E build, I haven't heard of many issues.

badger2727

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Its a bug. I have the same issue on T-Mobile and on Verizon . It happens when the network tried to switch to 3G or 2G, the carrier does not matter (it just happens that Verizon has a stronger signal so it happens less). If you live in a strong LTE area putting the phone on LTE only fixes it.

ccates

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
When I read the title of this post I read it as '6 Signal bars! "
First thought was, most phones only have 5 and the Nexus 6 doesn't even have bars..... This one goes to eleven!

Posted via the Android Central App

N33k5

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem sometimes, one of the things I recommend checking is to make sure you don't have your automatic data shut off enabled in the settings and that cellular data is really enabled. I noticed this problem getting tacos... I have also found toggling airplane mode sometimes fixes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa