Messenger and MMS

Nirvashicus

Aug 13, 2015
Visit site
So, I'm new to this smart phone thing. I've had dinky little prepaid phones for years, and only recently upgraded. I did alot of research on the hardware and such of each system, and finally decided on the Nexus 6. Might aswell make sure I get one good enough to not need to get another later. SO! I wait over a week, it arrives, and it's great. Everything works, I've got my stuff working. Just one glaring issue... I can't get picture messages.

I've had 2 people now send me simple pictures and the size is usually about 150kb. Should take no time at all to download and show such a thing, but the little message just says "Downloading..." infinitely. I've got full bars on my Wi-Fi, and even if I turn that off and just use my regular data, the problem persists. All of the things I read say "using Hangouts fixes the problem". Well, no, it doesn't. That would require me converting everyone I associate with into using Hangouts aswell, which isn't going to happen. The only other solution I find is manually fixing your APN or VPN or whatever the hell, and I've followed a couple of those guides to the T, and it still doesn't work. I don't know what to do. Apparently the only other people in the world who own a Nexus 6 are exclusively associated with people who do all of their everything through Hangouts and I'm just the odd one out.

Now, I've tried using Skype just to test, as one single person I know also has skype. Through there, picture messages send and display practically instantly. So nothing is slowing my internet or anything dumb like that. But again, the problem being that no one else I know uses Skype, so it's a void solution.

Is there any way, on a Nexus 6, to make the regular, default messenger work with MMS messages?

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm new to this smart phone thing. I've had dinky little prepaid phones for years, and only recently upgraded. I did alot of research on the hardware and such of each system, and finally decided on the Nexus 6. Might aswell make sure I get one good enough to not need to get another later. SO! I wait over a week, it arrives, and it's great. Everything works, I've got my stuff working. Just one glaring issue... I can't get picture messages.

I've had 2 people now send me simple pictures and the size is usually about 150kb. Should take no time at all to download and show such a thing, but the little message just says "Downloading..." infinitely. I've got full bars on my Wi-Fi, and even if I turn that off and just use my regular data, the problem persists. All of the things I read say "using Hangouts fixes the problem". Well, no, it doesn't. That would require me converting everyone I associate with into using Hangouts aswell, which isn't going to happen. The only other solution I find is manually fixing your APN or VPN or whatever the hell, and I've followed a couple of those guides to the T, and it still doesn't work. I don't know what to do. Apparently the only other people in the world who own a Nexus 6 are exclusively associated with people who do all of their everything through Hangouts and I'm just the odd one out.

Now, I've tried using Skype just to test, as one single person I know also has skype. Through there, picture messages send and display practically instantly. So nothing is slowing my internet or anything dumb like that. But again, the problem being that no one else I know uses Skype, so it's a void solution.

Is there any way, on a Nexus 6, to make the regular, default messenger work with MMS messages?

Hi, and welcome to AC :) great choice of phone for your first Android device :)

I'm not too sure about the whole MMS settings, it might be something you should bring up with your carrier, they might be able to alter some settings for you.

Regarding your point about Hangouts. You can make Hangouts your default messaging app, so it replaces the stock one that comes with the phone. So when someone sends you a message it'll appear in Hangouts. They don't need to have hangouts for this to work, it's just a case of you simply changing your messaging app. Right now I am using Hangouts on my Samsung Galaxy S6, I use it as a default messaging app, most of my friends have Iphones and all their messages come through perfectly fine.

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Congrats! Wish my first Android was the Nexus 6.
I have no problem with the MMS stock app on my 6. I think your problem must be some setting in the APN. (I'm running it on Straight Talk)

Hasbrobot

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain, had the same problem. I sort off got annoyed and gave up on messenger. I did switch to textra and it's pretty quick and reliable. Wish I could help you solve your problem other than point you in another direction. It's likely the only slight gripe I have with this phone otherwise it's been a remarkable choice. Good luck

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol