Killing Applications - can I or should I not?

MikeCallery

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Killing Applications -

Having had Android phones for a while, I have read many times to not kill applications, that it affects Android's ability to cache the apps and speed up the opening process. Oddly, one fines on the Note 4 the ability to do just the opposite - kill all apps.

On the Nexus 6 there is not a method to do this. A previous thread I read said it is not needed but I wonder if that is incorrect.

I find that if I scroll through apps, more then one of many apps are open. I would have thought that I would not necessarily have multiple instances of the same program, but I do. I also feel strongly that if I have enough applications open the phone seems to bog down, that might be me but that is my take.

So, am I wrong to assume that the apps should be closed out? Is there any application one can acquire to close them automatically? I've tried numerous apps that "allegedly" close background apps w/o any success.

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Re: Killing Applications -

Having had Android phones for a while, I have read many times to not kill applications, that it affects Android's ability to cache the apps and speed up the opening process. Oddly, one fines on the Note 4 the ability to do just the opposite - kill all apps.

On the Nexus 6 there is not a method to do this. A previous thread I read said it is not needed but I wonder if that is incorrect.

I find that if I scroll through apps, more then one of many apps are open. I would have thought that I would not necessarily have multiple instances of the same program, but I do. I also feel strongly that if I have enough applications open the phone seems to bog down, that might be me but that is my take.

So, am I wrong to assume that the apps should be closed out? Is there any application one can acquire to close them automatically? I've tried numerous apps that "allegedly" close background apps w/o any success.
Do not use any App Killing programs. Android is a Linux based OS, and it handles memory very effectively.

The only reason that you should ever Force Close an app is if it is misbehaving or has frozen.

Please, let Android do its job.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site

Kct1975 is absolutely correct.

DO NOT use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up and other far nastier problems they may cause.

To understand why such apps are so bad go back in this thread and read posts # 3, 23, 27, 31, 33 & 180 - especially 180.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/896663/

Actually, it's a good idea to read the entire thread. Lotsa excellent information.

There's no need to close apps. Android handles that for you very effectively, closing apps if system resources are low. Android is excellent at handling running processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance.

For more information on how Android handles multitasking, processes, RAM, etc automatically for you read this post by one of the authors of Android:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html?m=1

Just let Android do it's job as intended. It will automatically optimize performance it you let it and don't interfere.

Relax and enjoy your phone. The Nexus 6 is excellent. My wife has one and it's fast and buttery smooth. Never lags, always handles whatever is thrown at it with ease.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001.

MikeCallery

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site

Thank you both. I just read through the articles, one seemed to go on and on so after three pages I figured that was enough, got the point.

Sounds pretty much like keep your apps clean, meaning good apps and the OS is going to handle itself, don't mess with it.

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

Kct1975 is absolutely correct.

DO NOT use any task killers, RAM memory optimizers/boosters, battery savers/repairers, cache cleaners, etc etc. None of that stuff is necessary. Such apps are actually counterproductive and some are just plain evil. They actually waste power and disrupt critical system processes and degrade performance. Not to mention the nag ads many throw up and other far nastier problems they may cause.

To understand why such apps are so bad go back in this thread and read posts # 3, 23, 27, 31, 33 & 180 - especially 180.

http://androidforums.com/index.php?threads/896663/

Actually, it's a good idea to read the entire thread. Lotsa excellent information.

There's no need to close apps. Android handles that for you very effectively, closing apps if system resources are low. Android is excellent at handling running processes and memory with no help from 3rd-party apps or user assistance.

For more information on how Android handles multitasking, processes, RAM, etc automatically for you read this post by one of the authors of Android:

http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2010/04/multitasking-android-way.html?m=1

Just let Android do it's job as intended. It will automatically optimize performance it you let it and don't interfere.

Relax and enjoy your phone. The Nexus 6 is excellent. My wife has one and it's fast and buttery smooth. Never lags, always handles whatever is thrown at it with ease.

What about Omni Swipe's cleaning tool?

Posted via my amazingly smexy Nexus 6 yo

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=com.lazyswipe&token=rsSUrRA1

While I haven't had the time to investigate the app, it seems that all the app is, with regards to app closing, is a different way to swipe away recent used apps.

That is not the same as ending an app or force closing an app, which we strongly advise you not to do.

Another app I would personally recommend you avoid is Clean Master. About a year ago, not long after downloading and using Clean Master a few times, my RCA Tablet completely croaked. While I have no proof that Clean Master killed my tablet, I can tell you that it was working fine until I ran the app a few times.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I sometimes still force close and normally close apps but I find out it does not make a difference in battery life. I left a bunch of apps open and my phone only drained 2% overnight so now I leave most open except for the Slacker closing it normal by hitting the square button and swiping to close it app because it complains when I try to listen on more than one device. I notice more when I open the apps after closing them that the battery drains more.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
I sometimes still force close and normally close apps but I find out it does not make a difference in battery life...I notice more when I open the apps after closing them that the battery drains more.
Exactly. You will not see increased battery life by manually closing apps. If anything it will do just the opposite.

Android will handle closing apps if needed perectly well. Just let Android do its job. It doesn't need your help. Force closing apps unnecessarily is not only a waste of time, it's actually counterproductive. That's because it sends Android what amounts to essentially false information about your usage habits. And Android uses your usage habits to optimize your phone for your usage. Manually futzing around means you're not taking avantage of Android's optimization capabilities, resulting in less than optimal performance and reduced battery life.

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site

I was unable to find this. The only thing I could find was a kinda swipe-launcher:

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e.../apps/details?id=com.lazyswipe&token=FFk753jK

I don't think that's what you meant. Do you have a link?

Lazy swipe is now Omni swipe. When you install it, there are a few tools it has, including one that is always available and will clean up RAM

Posted via my amazingly smexy Nexus 6 yo

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site

I *strongly* advise you NOT to use the RAM cleanup feature.

COMPLETELY AGREE!

All the RAM Cleanup feature does is Force Close apps, which is not good. As others have mentioned, please let Android to its own Memory Management.

Sent from my NS-P16AT10 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38