Would you buy this phone today?

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Picked up a Note 5 on Friday but am a bit upset with the LTE reception with Sprint on this phone. Had the iPhone 6+ prior to the note.

Not really interested in that hideous large screened Nexus slated to come out. This phone still seems to have solid specs.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

SCD23x

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I would but I'm still on the SERO plan and I'm too cheap to give it up.

Also, my iPhone had excellent reception.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I would but I'm still on the SERO plan and I'm too cheap to give it up.

This is a tricky one - The N6 is a great phone. I use it, and will likely skip the upgrade this year (I usually upgrade every year). But if I didn't have the current N6, I'd wait another month or so to see the new Nexus devices and get one of those instead. One extra year of guaranteed updates - why lose that (along with hopefully better/newer hardware)?

Regarding the LTE speed on your Note 5, contact Sprint support and tell them. They will likely push out a forced profile update (which, I'm told, is somehow different than the profile/PRL updates you can initiate from the device) to your phone. See if that helps. The Note 5 is a Spark enabled device, so assuming you have Spark coverage in your area, you "should" get fairly decent speeds.
(Disclaimer: I was in a Spark enabled area from when Sprint launched Spark, and ALWAYS got crappy speeds on my spark enabled phone. Lousy LTE speeds too, even though signal strength was "good". But that was for any/all Sprint devices - didn't see better speeds on one device compared to another)

As a former SERO holdout, I feel the pain. Put up with lousy service for too long just to save a buck. Then, joined up with a friend and got a T-Mo family plan. $30 per line (less than SERO) - 10GB of actual usable high speed data, and unlimited everything, with international (low speed) data for overseas travel. Sweet! Their 3g speeds (in areas that I visit) are better than Sprint's LTE. YMMV

Gunny94

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Good Question.

If my Nexus 5 was out of order and I would find a nice deal like 360-420 euros I would. I mean I always love to have a 2nd Nexus to test preview software and use it ocassionaly as a daily driver.

My only gripe with the Nexus 6 is be 6 inches. I've got to use the Lumia 1520 as a DD for 2 months and I found that in most of my daily life situations the phone was to big.

Besides that, the phone is amazing and I would for sure buy it... But with Nexus 5 (2015) coming out, I know that I'll upgrade to that. (but still having my note 4 as DD)

Bagums

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I just purchased one about a week ago and have been pretty happy with it. To me it still seems to be a good phone and is plenty fast for everyday tasks as well as games like mortal kombat and injustice. Reception wise though I have noticed it losing signal more than with other phones I've used in my area so if that is a concern I would suggest paying close attention to cell signal if you pick one up

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Well, most of the radio bits are from Qualcomm, not Motorola.... they are all built into the SoC these days. Motorola has to fuss with the radio firmware and all.

Would I buy this phone again right now? perhaps.... I guess the a hesitation would be the new Nexus models that are looming on the horizon. They are still mostly unknowns at this point, so it is impossible to make a fair assesment. And there is also the new Moto X Pure Edition that's also waiting in the wings. But the Huawei Nexus and Moto Pure are really the only two upcoming phones that even draw my attention.

But, as far as stacking the Nexus 6 up against anything else in the market right now, yeah, I wouldn't pick another phone. No reason to. It still performs on par with the newest models. I've been running M since shortly after it launched and I am quite pleased with the new features. Other than "because different/new", no compelling reason to switch.

Though, I kind of like my wife's G4... software is a little meh, but the camera and form factor are pretty sweet. Nice phone. Wouldn't switch, but still nice phone.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes I would but no not at this price. With the new Motorola X coming out at $100 cheaper, I would lean towards that and it has a Micro SD card.
But if Google announced a $100 price drop today then I would be $450 poorer today for the 64gb.

cache11

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
I just purchased one about a week ago and have been pretty happy with it. To me it still seems to be a good phone and is plenty fast for everyday tasks as well as games like mortal kombat and injustice. Reception wise though I have noticed it losing signal more than with other phones I've used in my area so if that is a concern I would suggest paying close attention to cell signal if you pick one up

That's strange and wonder if you have a defective unit. My Nexus 6 gets -110dbm at my office and my Note 4 could not be used without turning on wifi calling. My office building has a steel roof and it wreaks havoc on all 4 of the big carriers ability to penetrate our building so I am super anal about signal strength and I find the N6 to be as good as any phone I have ever had and that's a pretty lengthy list. My business partner just returned 2 Droid Turbos because they couldn't hold a signal in our office so he ended up with a G4 which also has a great radio.

Posted via the Android Central App

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm using a N4 on Straight Talk. Will the N6 be a nice upgrade for around $370? The comments on the new Nexi haven't been too favorable.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just bought this on Friday and got it on Saturday. $400 for the 64GB in blue.

So far I love it. Previous phone use we t as such:

Note 2
Droid Maxx
Note 3
Droid Turbo
Note 4

Always loved the Droids, but missed the size of the Note series. Nexus 6 seems to be the right choice for me.

Bagums

May 1, 2010
Visit site
That's strange and wonder if you have a defective unit. My Nexus 6 gets -110dbm at my office and my Note 4 could not be used without turning on wifi calling. My office building has a steel roof and it wreaks havoc on all 4 of the big carriers ability to penetrate our building so I am super anal about signal strength and I find the N6 to be as good as any phone I have ever had and that's a pretty lengthy list. My business partner just returned 2 Droid Turbos because they couldn't hold a signal in our office so he ended up with a G4 which also has a great radio.

Thanks for quoting this as I meant to update but it seems to have just been poor service from cricket, I recently switched to Verizon and haven't had any issue with reception failing

M-A Kuttner

Sep 28, 2015
Visit site
I agree. I've got a N5 2014, and I think my next will be another N5. I really like Nexus for the direct OS updates, but the 6 just seems a bit too enormous to make me feel comfortable with it as a phone.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm using a N4 on Straight Talk. Will the N6 be a nice upgrade for around $370? The comments on the new Nexi haven't been too favorable.

Couple of things... first, at $370... the Nexus 6 is an extremely good value. You really aren't going to find a phone in that price range that can beat it. That is a hell of a deal.

Second, take the comments with a grain of salt... no one has really had their hands on either new Nexus phone, so everyone is going off leaked stories and rendered pictures. Specifically the 6P, that black bar doesn't stick out nearly as much as some of the renders I've seen suggest (think more bulge than hump). Plus, if you are like me and prefer black in any case, it doesn't really pop anyhow. This is one of those things where, and I've said this before, once people get it in there hand and take a look at it from all angles, I am betting most will say "Oh... this isn't bad at all, those leaks didn't do it justice".

Now, the 'get the Nexus 6 or wait for the new one' arguement, that is EXTREMELY complicated. :) The recent price drops on the Nexus 6 certainly skew the equation a bit of course...I must admit that as newer information comes out, the 6P is intriging. I guess I'll wait until the ACTUAL specs of the new Nexus are known.

ElronTheElder

Jan 7, 2015
Visit site
Buy new?
I just looked at the Moto X 2015 as a possible upgrade and decided not to.
Only thing which MIGHT have me upgrade is the Nexus 5X due to size considerations.
(Even though using a leather wallet case on my N6 is cool because it can take whole dollar bills without too much trouble.)
For purely hardware performance reasons it is tough to justify an upgrade.
While utilizing Fi is certainly a limiting factor, would think the new 5X would be inclusive in that club.
Would I buy the Nexus 6 all over again?
Check out what the newer Nexus 5X/6P's bring to the table and at what cost.
Then you could make an informed decision.
If the N6 drops down below 300 USD it would become a no-brainer.
Unless something new/significant is introduced with the latest models.