Is the Nexus 6 still a great phone to buy?

anon(19759)

Trusted Member
Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Just ordered one from Amazon. I love the phone I have now but I have to go back to Verizon for coverage. Hope I like it. I'm looking forward to finally having a virtual keyboard wide enough to make my typing better than horrible.

Posted via the Android Central App

OMGLadyGaga

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
It gets lots of small updates periodically and I notice that this thing stays buttery smooth no matter what I do, and multitasking is quite impressive hardly ever reloading any app or webpage. The big screen is nice especially for typing and media consumption. My nexus 5 also runs super fast and even smoother actually so I have no doubt that the 6 will remain a fast lag free experience for a long while.

I did try the Moto X pure from Amazon, and it is going back. It's nice and all but I just do not see how it is a better device than the nexus 6 unless you absolutely must have the Moto active display features, and it is more expensive to boot. I did like the screen better on the Pure since the whites are noticeably more white and with constant onscreen buttons there is less chance of burn in. The Xperia is also an lcd, and my iPad is as well so yes the whites on the nexus 6 are more yellowish especially at lower brightness but it makes up for it with much much deeper blacks and insane contrast levels. Especially good for reading. Thus it doesn't bother me one bit because looking at it on its own the whites still look good.

The negatives are battery life, I get 4 hours SOT sometimes a little less and sometimes a little more, but right around there. The Pure got me 3 to 3 and a half with the exact same usage. Standby time also better on the 6. The other negative is the size, I thought the Pure was much more gripable and its so much more narrower that it feels so nice in the hand. I also thought that 5.7 vs 5.95 in screen size isn't a very big difference I thought the screen would be noticeably smaller but that wasn't really the case.

That was a long winded way of saying yes the nexus 6 is still an awesome device and will be for a while

*apologies for any grammatical errors, iOS9 killed my iPad Air. Keyboard lag is real :(

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Just tried my first nexus 6.

Previously been using an lg g3. Before that Sony z1.

Initial observations.

Nexus interface is slick. Really fast. The screen on time looks much better than the g3. But my battery on the g3 was very poor (lg need to update their lolipop version).
Camera doesn't appear as good as the g3. I took some great pics on the lg especially in low light.
The screen. Like the extra size but not sure on the yellowish tint to the whites. The lg had much more of a cool colour. Maybe I will get used to the colour.

butler83

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
It's a great phone if you prefer a warm screen, going by other comments most 6's screens will have yellow whites it's the older amoled panel Samsung provided apparently. If it was an IPS LCD I would certainly still have one.

dkeven

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
sending back the moto xpe going back to nexus 6 dont see the warm screen issue must be old, nexus 6 best deal and best phone out there for the moment unless you are sammy or apple fan.

HorstFuchs

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
I would not get N6 again. Rounded back is something I can forgive (try to type something while it lays on the table). The screen, however, is not. Don't take me wrong, it doesn't look bad, but HW cannot handle such insane resolution. Comparing app/game usage it is slower than my old SM-T535. Moreover the display is killing the battery. My N6 usually handles about 8 hours of heavy usage (GPS, Wi-Fi, Camera), 10 tops. Not being for quick charger, I would have given it away long time ago.

P.S. Display has a slight yellow tint at extreme angles. Compared to N5 screen, this is just garbage. Such a shame.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I love my Nexus 6 . I don't have the yellow screen tint issue as mentioned
Its still a great phone to buy .:)

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Best phone on market to me. Tried note 5. Just wasn't any better than N6 so I returned. I am thinking of trying pure edition. Screen is fine for me. I find if you turn off adaptive brightness and set screen to your brightness it eliminates the yellow effect.

CrimsonRonin

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I moved onto my N6 from the HTC One M7 (great phone, best handset of 2014 hands down!).

I loved the screen on my One M7, it as great, whites on it were superb! My N6 is not 'as' great at M7 in terms of whites but it's not as bad as some make out.

I loved HTC Sense but Vanilla Android is fantastic, smooth, responsive and intuitive. I love the mini-updates I get that help things tick over. Camera is ok, can take some superb shots if you take the time to do so and fiddle with the camera using manual camera or another app that uses the Camera2 API.

It's fantastic to watch movies on (recently watched a BluRay 1080p version of Avengers Age of Ultron on it and it was brilliant!), sound is good (not as great as my M7 though).

It's still the 2nd best handset I've ever owned and I'd happily get another one! (In fact two of my friends now have N6's down to playing with mine).

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well guys I still haven't bought a phone yet :). I was waiting to see if there are any good Black Friday deals and I am still considering the X Style but also the new X Force is really appealing but that is costing £499 or $755 US Dollars so it is a lot of money to spend on a phone, I can afford it but I am just not sure it's worth it! Back to the Nexus 6 it has just been reduced on Motorla UK site from £479 to £250 so a big reduction, so which one of the three phones do I go for :) I know it's my choice but some opinions would be great I suppose the real opinion is on the Nexus is it STILL a good phone with good specs and the only thing that has bothered me is that some people say the whites on the screen are a bit yellow so is that the case as that might well put me off it, the size doesn't bother me as I want a bigger screen than my Xperia Z3 but also is the Nexus screen nice and bright as I do like a bright screen?

Thanks

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's simply a fine device. Until the next great one comes along. IMHO this for that it stands up to anything on the market today.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
but also is the Nexus screen nice and bright as I do like a bright screen?

If you want Note 5/S6 bright, then you will not like the Nexus 6 display. It's bright enough for me (except out of doors in bright sunlight), but it does depth of color (or oversaturation) a lot better than brightness.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
If you want Note 5/S6 bright, then you will not like the Nexus 6 display. It's bright enough for me (except out of doors in bright sunlight), but it does depth of color (or oversaturation) a lot better than brightness.

I am not bothered about S6 brightness just so long as it has a decent brightness to it as I had an LG G3 which wasn't great for brightness, and is the screen a bit yellow and as the other poster asked is the burn in situation ok I presume it is :) it is so tempting at £250 I was just worried that it is getting on a bit compared to other phones.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463