nexus 6 WIFI problems

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
just picked up a nexus 6 to replace my nexus 5 that had power button problems.
i've noticed the WIFI on the nexus 6 is flaky to say the least.

in two separate locations where i connect to WIFI the nexus 6 struggles to connect (if at all) unless i reboot the phone (which then connects to the WIFI network immediately).
if i try to manually connect to the WIFI network it looks thru saved, connecting, saved, connecting etc etc.

the nexus 5 connects to both flawlessly with no issue.

so what's the deal with WIFI on the nexus 6?

both the 5 and 6 running 5.1.1 (and all up to date).

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Personally I have had my Nexus 6 since May of this year, and I haven't had any problems connecting to WiFi.

The problems I have experienced...

1. Receiving Phone Calls while connected to WiFi and with my phone in LTE mode.

2. My phone, at times, hanging on to 3G and not wanting to 4G LTE when it is available.

For your problem, the only workaround that I can think of that might work would be to toggle Airplane Mode on your phone when you are in the presence of a known WiFi.

JoePa2624

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been having the same problems recently, but haven't been able to come up with any fixes other than rebooting the phone.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I had major issues with Wifi when I had the Asus RT-N66U on my Nexus 6 where it would show down and cause buffering when streaming music. All other devices parents Nexus 5's and my Nexus 7 (2013) had no issues. I went though much hassle for months finally just replacing the router with the Netgear Nighthawk R7000 and now my Wifi works great on my Nexus 6.

Robbie317

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm just glad I get a really solid LTE signal and unlimited LTE because the Wi-Fi on my Nexus 6 constantly disconnects and connects back... No other device in my house has this issue... I've done about everything I've seen on here and nothing seems to improve it any!

jdsbmw

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Wifi connectivity is disgraceful with this Nexus 6. I have to reboot FAR TOO OFTEN in order for this device to recognize saved wifi locations. I bought this device for $349 for the 32GB version simply to see if I could adjust to the size. I left the iPhone 6 for the Nexus 6. I do love the N6 and I will never go back to Apple. However, WIFI CONNECTIVITY ON THE NEXUS 6 (mine at least) IS ATROCIOUS.

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I guess the Nexus 6 hates older routers as I had major issues with my Asus RT-N66W which had zero issues with any other wireless devices like the Nexus 5, Nexus 7 (2013), iPod Touch 5, Fire TV, Apple TV 3, Dell Inspiron all in one etc all connected to my 5ghz networks. Only a newer ac router like the Netgear R7000 fixed my issues with the Nexus 6 Wifi.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Odd. My wife and I have had no problems, even connecting to old equipment like a Linksys WRT54G and stuff older even than that. Our Nexus 6's have hooked right up to anything so far. Maybe just lucky...

Kyle Whittington

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I've had the exact thing you're describing but only as of the last OTA update that came through last week. Mine is running 5.1.1 and I believe it's nothing to do with router version etc. My phone had no issues connecting to my home or work WiFi until that update was flashed. Now, I experience situations where if I am on a saved access point and leave, then come back to it a little while later, the phone doesn't automatically connect to it. Going into WiFi settings to force a connection to the saved location doesn't do anything. Reboot the phone and voila, connects to the router. This has happened almost every day since the update and happens at multiple locations. Though there are other Nexus 6 WiFi issues that have been raised, I'm beginning to think this is a new one and shouldn't just be bundled with all the others.

Swagata Sarkar

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site
I have not faced any problem with wifi. There only problem i have is with Bluetooth. But, that is there for all Android lollipop.

Posted via the Android Central App

chenks

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I've had the exact thing you're describing but only as of the last OTA update that came through last week. Mine is running 5.1.1 and I believe it's nothing to do with router version etc. My phone had no issues connecting to my home or work WiFi until that update was flashed. Now, I experience situations where if I am on a saved access point and leave, then come back to it a little while later, the phone doesn't automatically connect to it. Going into WiFi settings to force a connection to the saved location doesn't do anything. Reboot the phone and voila, connects to the router. This has happened almost every day since the update and happens at multiple locations. Though there are other Nexus 6 WiFi issues that have been raised, I'm beginning to think this is a new one and shouldn't just be bundled with all the others.

this is exactly what i experience.
but as i only got the nexus 6 two weeks ago, i don't know what it was like before all the OTA updates it received when i turned it on for the first time.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend turning Airplane mode on then turn it off. I've noticed that cleared up my recent wifi issues.

I received an update last Wednesday and ever since then, my wifi has went from being solid to being mush. It's like the radio gets confused. I saw the recommendation to turn airplane mode on then off to basically "reset" the radios and it actually worked for me. It doesn't solve the problem but it's faster than a phone reboot (especially when you have the encryption on).

drac77

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
So here is my issue and it's perplexing. I bought a 64gb Nexus 6 off the Google store and at work have no issues with WiFi at all. Netflix and Youtube stream great with no lag to connect to either service. At home however it seems to be a different animal all together. Basic navigation is no problem and when doing ookla speedtest I peg sometimes at 50+ mbps but when I try to stream Netflix or Youtube it is really slow to start the stream. Netflix I can rarely even reach their server and the random times I do it streams great and then chokes. Youtube will lag on loading the video and randomly just start buffering and drop giving message of No Network Connection. I have Xfinity, a new Motorola Surfboard Docsys Modem and Netgear wireless router. Both of those pieces I replaced since I thought the problem was with those two pieces of hardware as initially I was using the Comcast rented hardware. Some people tell me that it is my ISP that is messing about. Does anyone have any suggestions please? I should add that my son's Note4, my wife's S4 and my Nexus 7 tablet do not have this issue at all, just my Nexus 6.:'(

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Try setting the DNS servers on the router to Google's DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 for the primary, 8.8.4.4 for the secondary.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

swarooprao

Oct 1, 2015
Visit site
I would tend to agree with Kyle W. I've had the Nexus 6 for a few months now and I never had trouble connecting and reconnecting to WiFi networks, but as of the latest OTA update, I've started experiencing the exact same problems, viz. my phone doesn't recognize saved WiFi networks or any nearby WiFi networks for that matter. And, toggling the WiFi switch doesn't help. The only solution appears to be to reboot the phone. I wonder if there's a Android Support thread that I can tag on to.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
my Wifi connectivity is definitely worse than the Note 4, but it does work. I have also noticed the Bluetooth distance doesn't work as well as the Note 4

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Try setting the DNS servers on the router to Google's DNS servers. 8.8.8.8 for the primary, 8.8.4.4 for the secondary.

Don't bother. DNS changing is just a placebo effect that never works where you think it is fixed until when the same issues starts up again. I keep getting suckered into it then when it fixes nothing I change my DNS back to OpenDNS (has way more features) but performance is the same even if I use my ISP DNS.

drac77

Sep 23, 2015
Visit site
Don't bother. DNS changing is just a placebo effect that never works where you think it is fixed until when the same issues starts up again. I keep getting suckered into it then when it fixes nothing I change my DNS back to OpenDNS (has way more features) but performance is the same even if I use my ISP DNS.

Yeah I tried it anyway and it had no effect. I can only hope M will help when it's rolled out.