New Nexus 6 - Root Now or Wait?

jcc27

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
New Nexus6 (XT1103) arrived today. I am going to activate it on Project Fi as soon as I can get a SIM card (they are current out of stock). Try Fi out for a while and if it works well keep if. If not, will activate the N6 on my Verizon acct and stay with Verizon.

My question is: should I wait to root it until after I activate it on Project Fi or Verizon? I have not rooted before, but from what I can tell using the Root Tool Kit, etc it should be pretty easy. I would like to enable to LED notification light and try the double tap app and it is my understanding that they are only available when rooted.

Any advice on how to start out on the right foot with my new Nexus 6 would be appreciated. I haven't even turned it on yet!

Thanks

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I'd wait after just in case. Make sure you do your research on the pros and cons of rooting.

Posted from my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface Pro 3

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Unlocking your bootloader WILL factory reset your device.
And there's a difference between unlocking your bootloader and rooting (I realized that just a few days ago ;P). The things you would like to activate can be done by only unlocking your bootloader. You can just install them through TWRP or whatever (I'm using TWRP).
As far as I know, if your bootloader is unlocked but you're still running the stock rom, then you can still get OTA updates (not 100% sure about that, may want to double check...)
So I would say to go ahead and unlock your bootloader. Saves you troubles with having to back up and sign in to everything again and such (trust me-still going through the process of signing in to everything). Just make sure you can still get OTAs first though.
If you decide to wait until later, then make sure you are constantly backing things up. Before I unlocked my bootloader, I had to wait for an hour for all of my SMS and MMS messages to be backed up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae