Android M OTA update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojofilter9

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
So, I'm new to Nexus...

Wondering if the OTA happens on day 1 of Android M being released or do we still have to wait?

In other words am I going to get an update notification tomorrow?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
If the past two years are any indication we will get it within a couple days of release or you can just flash the image and not wait for the OTA

Posted from my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface Pro 3

Erik Johnson3

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Stupid question, I am getting my N6 on Tuesday. Do I need to have a active sim card or just get it over the air with WiFi.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Assuming that all N6s will be running the same build of Marshmellow, you should get the M OTA over WiFi without a SIM. The only conceivable hangup might be with T-Mobile if Google hasn't yet resolved their Band 12 issue. But it seems like that should only involve a second follow-up patch if that certification's still in limbo. At least I hope that's true since I'm on T-Mobile.

WP7Nettwerk

May 21, 2015
Visit site
I hope we will get update OTA quick. But I care about stability after update. I don't want to reset phone to factory settings.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I hope we will get update OTA quick. But I care about stability after update. I don't want to reset phone to factory settings.

Me neither but I'm prepared to factory reset :/

Posted from my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface Pro 3

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

It is a hassle but advisable to get a clean upgrade. I plan to flash it as soon as the factory image is available. Last few OTA's have taken a few weeks. Especially with a ATT SIM.

Posted via Nexus 6!

Howard Sylve

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Sim cards don't matter. Every Nexus phone is updated in batches, and I think it's based on the phones manufacturing number. So basically if you were sold the first batch of phones you will get the update first. Google loves its staged roll outs.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Sim cards don't matter. Every Nexus phone is updated in batches, and I think it's based on the phones manufacturing number. So basically if you were sold the first batch of phones you will get the update first. Google loves its staged roll outs.

SIM cards do matter - well, at least they have mattered till now, because if you have a T-Mo SIM, you get the OTA for the T-Mo Build (not for Verizon build). Similarly, if you have a Verizon SIM or a Fi SIM, you get the corresponding OTA.
Also, the OTA rollout is not based on manufacturing number - it seems to be fairly random unfortunately.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
^^^ Correct! If you want to get the correct build for T-Mobile, which includes WiFi calling, you must have an activated T-Mobile SIM to receive their OTA update.

Android since v1.0. Linux since 2001

mworsham

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I just bought an unlocked nexus 6. No carrier bloatware on it. Just put an AT&T SIM in it yesterday. I want the M update but do not want the bloatware. Suggestions?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an unlocked nexus 6. No carrier bloatware on it. Just put an AT&T SIM in it yesterday. I want the M update but do not want the bloatware. Suggestions?

It is a Nexus. Even if any bloat is installed during the update, just uninstall it as you'd uninstall a user app.

What specifically?
The factory images are available now - I just flashed it (needs unlocked bootloader)

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
If you want to get the correct build for T-Mobile, which includes WiFi calling, you must have an activated T-Mobile SIM to receive their OTA update.

Do we know for a fact that there will be different carrier-specifc builds for 6.0 as there were for 5.1.1? I've been Googling for that, but all I've seen is that some folks on Reddit have claimed that the MRA58K image on the Google Developers page works with WiFi Calling on both Fi and T-Mo.

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
AFAIK we don't know and won't know until Nexus 6 phones on T-Mobile start getting updates. But I'd be surprised if T-Mobile doesn't get a special build since they did before.

Last edited:

joe_m_p

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I feel like once my phone connects to WiFi I'll get a notification saying an update is available.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Do we know for a fact that there will be different carrier-specifc builds for 6.0 as there were for 5.1.1? I've been Googling for that, but all I've seen is that some folks on Reddit have claimed that the MRA58K image on the Google Developers page works with WiFi Calling on both Fi and T-Mo.

AFAIK we don't know and won't know until Nexus 6 phones on T-Mobile start getting updates. But I'd be surprised if T-Mobile doesn't get a special build since they did before.

Uh, guys, this was posted today: On Nexus 6 Marshmallow factory images and Project Fi | Android Central

Not to mention we know the M preview already has WIFI calling built in and works perfectly fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith