First time flasher - future of OTA?

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
So again, I am a Nexus noob...

I used the AC guide to use adb to unlock the bootloader and flash M on my Nexus 6.

Since I did that, what happens with future updates? Like say 6.01 comes out in a month. Will that come via OTA? Or since I flashed it, now I have to flash everything every time?

Posted via the Android Central App

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Did you root or just unlock the bootloader?

If you're running stock and not rooted, you are still able to get OTA updates.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Unlocked bootloader and no root = OTA will install.

Unlocked bootloader and root = no OTA will install

I did the same thing yesterday. Flashed 6.0 on my N6 but didn't root. I know T-Mobile will release an OTA in the next few weeks tweaking the OS for thier network and I'll still be able to install it.

By the way, the factory 6.0 image on a N6 on T-Mobile does have wifi calling.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I did the same thing yesterday. Flashed 6.0 on my N6 but didn't root. I know T-Mobile will release an OTA in the next few weeks tweaking the OS for thier network and I'll still be able to install it.
If T-Mo/Google only release an OTA, it will likely be from LYZ28M/LMY48W to 6.x. Since you (and I) have flashed MRA58K, I am not sure we will get OTA from MRA58K to T-Mo's version of 6.0. We may have to go back to 5.1.1, and then take OTA.

Hopefully, they will release the factory image (as they usually do), and if so, it is an easy flash

jdsbmw

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Flashing? The future of OTA? I certainly hope not! Why doesn't Google simply do the PROPER thing and release the effin OTA update? I own a Nexus 6. Hey Google, where is my effin Marshmallow OTA update for the Nexus 6?

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
If T-Mo/Google only release an OTA, it will likely be from LYZ28M/LMY48W to 6.x. Since you (and I) have flashed MRA58K, I am not sure we will get OTA from MRA58K to T-Mo's version of 6.0. We may have to go back to 5.1.1, and then take OTA.

Honestly, the update from stock 6.0 may be so minor it may not be worth the trouble. I guess we'll see when/if it happens.

Lee_Bo

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
Flashing? The future of OTA? I certainly hope not! Why doesn't Google simply do the PROPER thing and release the effin OTA update? I own a Nexus 6. Hey Google, where is my effin Marshmallow OTA update for the Nexus 6?

It's entirely possible that Google has already released the update, but your carrier is having to add their stuff to it.

If you're that worried about the "effin Marshmallow OTA update", then just flash the stock 6.0 image and be happy.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Its a simple list.... if you've done any of the following, OTAs will fail:

Install a custom recovery
Root
Modify your system image in some way (custom kernel, custom boot image, etc)

The OTA has a bunch of system checks that it goes through before it loads.... not because they don't want you rooting your phone, but because they don't want a stock OTA stomping all over your phone and busting it all to pieces. So those OTA checks are to protect YOU.

But since you've already set up an environment that can flash the full factory images, you really don't need to worry yourself over an OTA. You can flash newer factory images without blowing away your system data (which the flash_all command will do by default).... It might take a couple of extra steps, but you've already got passed the 'hard' part by setting up ADB and fastboot.

Plus, OTA updates tend to lag a bit after the full factory image.

By the way, I have a feeling that we've seen the last of all the loony carrier specific factory images. It got out of control with the Nexus 6 and LP with all the different flavors.... But I think Google is just rolling all those specific bits into the main branch.... WiFi Calling for T-Mobile, the various different VoLTE implementations, Project Fi, etc. I think Google got annoyed at what turned into mass confusion.

thatguy97

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey stupid question but can I just flash the image Google gave on my Verizon N6.

Posted from my Nexus 6/Nexus 7 2013/Surface Pro 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34