No command in recovery mode?

reb0957

Jul 13, 2012
Visit site
Running LMY48M. I am trying to enter recovery mode to wipe cache and all I get is the stupid robot on his back saying no command. I have tried volume up and power button no menu comes up... Phone is starting to have some quirks and figured I would try wiping cache before anything else. Can anyone help

Posted via the Android Central App

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Pressing and holding the power button for a few seconds and then pressing up on the volume key should have worked. I know it won't work if you try pressing both of the buttons at the same time. Were you trying to press both buttons at the same time?

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
When you get to the "no command" screen try this. Hold down the power button for 3-5 seconds and then press and release the Volume up button.

Edit. Just noticed that I posted at the same time than Radgatt :)

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I am trying to enter recovery mode to wipe cache and all I get is the stupid robot on his back saying no command. I have tried volume up and power button no menu comes up

Mine's finnicky, too. If Power then Volume Up doesn't work, just try the reverse, but keep at it. The menu will pop up eventually.

sulla1965

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah just keep pressing the power and volume up buttons, it always takes a awhile for mine, but it eventually opens the recovery.

mrbios

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
12-13-2016 Nexus 5X with 7.x Nougat - "no command" screen... I pressed power + volume up and held both for about 5 seconds and released both at the same time and the phone restarted into a normal boot.

I'm trying to root it to recover a deleted photo and I'm totally blown away how much work this is and the fact that you can't simply enter - even with a code - the SU or root user mode to perform a special operation then return to "secure mode".

Android 7 no Trash can for deleted files...
Windows, Mac, linux, ios all have a recycle bin. Might want to add this most basic feature.

Also, photos have one touch delete so no confirmation - undo option is nice but the screen got pushed in my pocket.

iluz

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
For getting into Recovery mode for anyone having this issue on the nexus 6P do the following:

1. Power off the phone
  2. Hold the Power button + the Vol Down button to boot into the Bootloader
  3. Select Recovery Mode and press the Pwr button
  4. Once the Andorid with the exclamation point appearing above the stomach shows with "No Command" below, hold the Pwr button then press the Vol up button and i will take you to the Recovery mode every time

**If it doesn't happen after a couple of times then there is some corruption or likely some problem with the Recovery Mode. i decided to post this because I'm sick of people posting wrong information or half-*** answers.

Feb 17, 2017
Visit site
I had this issue the other night on my 6P, and the button combinations did nothing. Unlocked and on TWRP 3.0 when I started getting the message, and after all the frustration I simply reflashed TWRP and suddenly all was back to normal. Don't know if you're on stock recovery and locked bootloader, but if so it might be worth unlocking and flashing TWRP. Just make sure to follow the directions Team Win have for making it persistent across the first reboot.

bwthornock

Mar 5, 2017
Visit site
I had this issue the other night on my 6P, and the button combinations did nothing. Unlocked and on TWRP 3.0 when I started getting the message, and after all the frustration I simply reflashed TWRP and suddenly all was back to normal. Don't know if you're on stock recovery and locked bootloader, but if so it might be worth unlocking and flashing TWRP. Just make sure to follow the directions Team Win have for making it persistent across the first reboot.

I am also stuck on the No command screen. I tried to get the latest Android 7.1 update and it rebooted with the dead Android saying no command. I have TWRP 3.0 as well as well but I have no idea what to do inside the recovery mode to get phone functional again. Any suggestions?

desiboy_AT

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Volume up button does not work. I think we have to press and hold Volume down button first and then Power button untill the screen shows up.

sonenos1

Mar 16, 2017
Visit site
Re: No command in recovery mode - Solution FOUND!

Solution FOUND!

Hi all, I have found the solution in the Google Product Forum.

https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/nexus/KE4Vma51VEU/TM7Ks4rJAAAJ

"If you are trying to get into recovery mode, and see an android on his back with No Command, then press and hold Power, then tap Volume Up once, then release Power. This will display the Recovery Mode Menu.

Do not hold power too long, and do not hold both power and volume up waiting for the menu to come up. These action will cause the Nexus to reboot. It is actually the transition of Volume Up going from pressed to not pressed while power is pressed that forces the menu to be displayed.!

latty

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Get Flashify from the app store. Download the latest recovery image. Flash the recovery with Flashify. Then boot to recovery.

Richard Kennedy2

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For getting into Recovery mode for anyone having this issue on the nexus 6P do the following:

1. Power off the phone
  4. Once the Andorid with the exclamation point appearing above the stomach shows with "No Command" below, hold the Pwr button then press the Vol up button and i will take you to the Recovery mode every time

**If it doesn't happen after a couple of times then there is some corruption or likely some problem with the Recovery Mode. i decided to post this because I'm sick of people posting wrong information or half-*** answers.

The Best Directions Around For These Tricky Books!
Thank You

Mk160193

Jun 11, 2017
Visit site
I have nexus 6p . I have entered the recovery mode screen and selected reboot now option but it doesn't work. Google logo appears and disappear continuously . Please help

crazy elf

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
This is a thank you to sonenos1.. I tried every key combination to get into recovery mode. Nothing worked.. Once I found your post and did exactly as you explained in your post it worked immediately.. after about 3 hours it finally worked after doing what you said.. Kudos to you and thank you for your time...

element33

Sep 29, 2017
Visit site

1. Power off the phone

Dude you are a legend, actually works!!! Was stuck on bootscreen, recovery mode said no command and this method booted to recovery mode so i could wipe partition cache, happy bunny!!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12