at&t Wi-Fi calling and VoLTE

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
With at&t now supporting both these features do you think they will ever enable this for the Nexus 6? We know the phone is capable of both.

Posted via the Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
That would be nice. Only iPhone 6 series and newer are supported for wifi calling and text as of now on ATT. I enabled it on my iPhone 6+ and it worked very well. I put my phone in airplane mode and then connected to WiFi and was able to make and receive calls and texts. Pretty nice feature. My wife has had it on T-Mobile for years but has never set it up.

Posted via my Nexus 6 with Marshmallow!

Last edited:

drenfree

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
The 5s had WiFi calling for tmobile. Only the 6 and newer support both WiFi calling and volte

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

drenfree

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
Tmobile allows it. I am sure once att allows WiFi calling it will be capable. Volte is awesome for call quality however I find WiFi calling more useful especially when I am in the basement doing laundry I can still make calls or answer calls.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Tmobile allows it. I am sure once att allows WiFi calling it will be capable. Volte is awesome for call quality however I find WiFi calling more useful especially when I am in the basement doing laundry I can still make calls or answer calls.

ATT just turned it on WiFi calling and texting but only iPhone 6 and newer can use it. Not sure why? HD voice has been on in selected markets for a while and several phones work with it. Also know as Volte on other networks.

Posted via my S6 with Samsung Pay!

drenfree

Sep 7, 2015
Visit site
I believe the android devices for tmobile might have either hardware or software built into the phone to enable WiFi calling. Apple iPhone 6 and newer had the hardware built in and software enable WiFi calling and votle

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
There's a good chance that they will indeed. Marshmallow supports WiFi Calling at the OS level now, so it should be a pretty easy toggle, assuming that AT&T uses the same type of technology that T-Mobile does, and not the modified version Sprint uses. It's possible they will enable it at the OS level, not just specifically for the N6, due to this native support for it. Which means that any 6.0 device with the proper hardware can enable their WiFi Calling.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
With at&t now supporting both these features do you think they will ever enable this for the Nexus 6? We know the phone is capable of both.

Yes they will. But they just recently started it so they are starting with their biggest seller first.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I spoke with support twice. Chat and phone. Both times they seem puzzled that I don't have it. They fiddle with my account and try to reprovision my phone. I was even told by one tech that I had an old sim which I got replaced. Nothing.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
5.1.1 lmy48w

OK.... I am not sure if that build will even support WFC. You might need one of the 5.1.1 Tmo builds. But, to be honest, your best bet, if you go that route, is to just flash the 6.0 factory image. WFC is baked into core Android in 6.0.

Under Wireless & Networks -> More... is Wi-Fi Calling listed under NFC? If not... no joy on that build.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
OK.... I am not sure if that build will even support WFC. You might need one of the 5.1.1 Tmo builds. But, to be honest, your best bet, if you go that route, is to just flash the 6.0 factory image. WFC is baked into core Android in 6.0.

Under Wireless & Networks -> More... is Wi-Fi Calling listed under NFC? If not... no joy on that build.

Oh got ya. It was my understanding that as of 5.1 there was support for VoLTE. Wasn't sure about the WiFi calling though. I just hope they allow VoLTE for this phone. It will help greatly help with my voice coverage. I get way better coverage with LTE vs HSPA+ in my area. Of course the WiFi calling would only be a bonus.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh got ya. It was my understanding that as of 5.1 there was support for VoLTE. Wasn't sure about the WiFi calling though. I just hope they allow VoLTE for this phone. It will help greatly help with my voice coverage. I get way better coverage with LTE vs HSPA+ in my area. Of course the WiFi calling would only be a bonus.

Well... only the Project Fi and T-Mobile builds got WiFi Calling on 5.1. Which makes sense since those two networks (being both T-Mobile) even supported WiFi Calling. Google just decided to say "WiFi Calling ALL THE THINGZ" in 6.0. So everyone got the code for WFC and VoLTE regardless of whether or not they actually support it.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Well... only the Project Fi and T-Mobile builds got WiFi Calling on 5.1. Which makes sense since those two networks (being both T-Mobile) even supported WiFi Calling. Google just decided to say "WiFi Calling ALL THE THINGZ" in 6.0. So everyone got the code for WFC and VoLTE regardless of whether or not they actually support it.

I went ahead and flashed 6.0. No option for VoLTE or WFC.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Can you put a screenshot of what you see in "Wireless & Network - '... More" window?

That all you need?

Attachments

• 1631.jpg
    1631.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 1632.jpg
    1632.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 53
  • 1633.jpg
    1633.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
Maybe an AT&T specific ROM is necessary? I flashed a ROM to my Nexus 6 that wasn't T-Mobile specific and don't have the WFC option either.

Maybe it has something to do with that?