This seems like a VERY slow rollout, any rumors of problems making them slow it down?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
This really does seems like the longest time gap for most to get an update after the "first" day of the rollout. Are they putting on the brakes because of any bugs or issues with the first wave of OTA's?

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
This really does seems like the longest time gap for most to get an update after the "first" day of the rollout. Are they putting on the brakes because of any bugs or issues with the first wave of OTA's?

Its always been like this. That's why I NEVER wait. You have a Nexus. Flash the images that have been available for a week.

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, no, it hasn't always been like this, which is why I asked. I have always gotten my update within a week of the first day and, from the general noise, it seems VERY few people have gotten the OTA. This could be a bad sign, which makes me even more reluctant to update manually if the original build release had issues (besides the fact that I hate the flashing process nowadays).

grover5

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I haven't even gotten the latest stage fright update. Those shouldn't even be on a scheduled roll out.

Posted via the Android Central App

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone with a Nexus 6 even received an OTA update to Marshmallow 6.0?

Every time I've checked the OTA links (for the Nexus 6 only out of all the Nexus devices getting Marshmallow) have not even been listed. (The Factory Image is available for Shamu / Nexus 6).

But all this talk among Nexus 6 owners is from those who've used the Factory Image. It seems like the OTA doesn't even exist yet for Nexus 6 and that no one has received an OTA update from Google or from a carrier.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, no, it hasn't always been like this, which is why I asked. I have always gotten my update within a week of the first day and, from the general noise, it seems VERY few people have gotten the OTA. This could be a bad sign, which makes me even more reluctant to update manually if the original build release had issues (besides the fact that I hate the flashing process nowadays).

The flashing process has been the same since the first Nexus.

Its been exactly one week since the factory images have been available. No OTA has been available.

There is no correlation between few people getting OTA's being a "bad sign".

No Nexus 6 OTA has been found as it hasn't been released or pushed to a device yet.

Patience.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
An OTA is substantially more complicated than a full factory image. It requires a lot of extra testing and validation, not to mention that they have to pick among a bunch of different carrier-specific builds. Had there only been one 'gold' image for the Nexus 6, you all would have had the OTA drop by now.

So between the 4 or 5 different Nexus 6 branches to upgrade and those monthly security updates, they got a lot on their plate.

I loaded the factory image the instant it because available. There are no problems.... I haven't run into any bugs.... damn thing runs smoother than any version of Android I've loaded on this phone so far. The delays are procedural. Would you rather them do things right, or do things quickly?

Vance14

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that must be it, that the OTA hasn't even begun yet. But this is in itself very odd, since it has been a week since they said the OTA rollout was starting. I have no problem waiting for it be done right, I just find it odd that they announced the OTA was starting (as reported by so many outlets), but then it doesn't roll out for more than week. Maybe everyone just got it wrong and the OTA was never announced after all.

New Age, I didn't say the flashing process had changed, only that I am not liking it nowadays. I used to enjoy rooting and ROM'ing, wiping and flashing. Now that just feels tedious and I can't bring myself to go through the process. I am curious about M and want to try it out, but not eager enough to do anything more than say "yeah, sure, update" and press the button.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes, that must be it, that the OTA hasn't even begun yet. But this is in itself very odd, since it has been a week since they said the OTA rollout was starting. I have no problem waiting for it be done right, I just find it odd that they announced the OTA was starting (as reported by so many outlets), but then it doesn't roll out for more than week. Maybe everyone just got it wrong and the OTA was never announced after all.

New Age, I didn't say the flashing process had changed, only that I am not liking it nowadays. I used to enjoy rooting and ROM'ing, wiping and flashing. Now that just feels tedious and I can't bring myself to go through the process. I am curious about M and want to try it out, but not eager enough to do anything more than say "yeah, sure, update" and press the button.

For me it was easier to download and flash the images than its been responding to this thread. I even did it on windows with no SDK.

[TOOL] [WINDOWS] ADB, Fastboot and Drivers -… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums : will install adb and fastboot along with drivers. I opened a windows command prompt and navigated to folder containing images. Issued like 6 fastboot commands and was done.

Edit: I didn't erase userdata or flash it or cache and my phone came out with all previous data intact. No factory reset.

Kevin Harvell

May 31, 2012
Visit site
Just shows yet again that only Apple can bypass the carrier.

Thankfully we can just flash a factory image day one allowing for the always highly recommended fresh install.

Via the Nexus 6 and AC beta

kayfaei

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I got mine from att tonight. I'm actually scared to update to marshmallow. For the first few months I was one of the people who's phone would randomly reboot. I haven't had one in months..

From Nexus 6

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I got mine from att tonight. I'm actually scared to update to marshmallow. For the first few months I was one of the people who's phone would randomly reboot. I haven't had one in months..

From Nexus 6

Have you verified that the update that you got from AT&T is for marshmallow? I'm asking because many people have an update alert and it turns out that after they install it is a security update to Android 5.1.1 lollipop. Also I haven't seen any reports of AT&T pushing out 6.0 yet. I did see verified that Sprint is pushing it out starting October 14th and ending October 23rd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz