NRT won't let me make Android backup, why?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
NRT won't let me make Nandroid backup

Yesterday I flashed Android 6 to my Nexus 6. I'm a noob to this, but it worked. Marshmallow is running fine.

After the process, Nexus Root Toolkit, NRT, suggests that you make a backup.

I wanted to try to make a Nandroid Backup w/ Custom Recovery, which is on the NRT Backup dialog box. I've run into issues which I have already tried to correct repeatedly.

In trying to do this, NRT tells me that I cannot proceed in the "Any Build Mode." See Image
NRT backup not working.jpg

When I started with NRT, my 5.1.1 build was LMY48W, the one from AT&T that doesn't have an OTA update yet and is not defined in NRT. Many experts advised on this and other forums to select Any Build when flashing M to a Nexus 6 from this build. It did work just fine. I followed all the driver installation process instructions very carefully on NRT.

In fact, as you can see circled on the left, NRT knows that my build now is MRA58K, the universal build for Android 6.

When I follow the prompts and click OK to change my Model Type (and build), NRT shows Nexus 6 but shows a blank in the build window, despite it knowing the build in the prior screen. See image.

nrt backup 2.jpg

If I either Auto Detect or manually select the build as MRA58K, it shows me instructions about enabling USB Debugging. See image.

nrt backup 3.jpg

USB Debugging is already on and I've tried turning it off and on. I've rebooted the PC (Win 10) and the phone, and reattached the phone.

I have not tried uninstalling NRT from the PC and reinstalling it.

Each time I try this I get the same results.

I think I understand Nandroid to be a complete backup and thought that would be good to have....again, I'm a noob.

I had already made "Create Android Backup File" when I was in 5.1.1, before flashing 6.0.

After flashing 6.0, the Google Android RESTORE function successfully restored all my apps.

Is this Nandroid Backup a worthwhile thing to have? If so, how do I fix this? Thanks

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: NRT won't let me make Nandroid backup

Thanks.

Following the directions in the first 3 minutes of the video:
I have a rooted device and I think I have TWRP recovery installed. I followed NRT installation instructions for Android 6.0 to the letter. And I think I encountered TWRP running during the process, not sure.

• I got the app Quick Boot (Reboot) from Google Play App Store.
    Opened Quick Boot App
    Selected Recovery
    Selected Grant for SuperUser pop up (we're up to 2:27 on the video)

This is where in the video he boots into TWRP recovery.

On my phone at this point I get the Dead Android, Red Exclamation Point screen. If I jump from there to the Android Recovery menu and View Recovery Logs, I do see one line that says "Moving etc/twrp.fastab -> /etc/recovery.fstab.bak. So that mentions the 4 letters twrp.

I also see Loading package TWRP in the logs.

But when I follow the video exactly, it gives me that dead android, not the TWRP screen from that Quick Boot App.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech