Apps w/Usage Access

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I was just browsing my security settings (5.1.1), and I noticed that under the Apps With Usage Access setting, there's only one listing, Google Play Services, and it's turned off. I checked it on, thinking "I probably need that for somethong, right?"

Anyone know what this setting is, and why I would or wouldn't want it turned on?

AC App
Nexus 6

Last edited:

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I was just browsing my security settings (5.1.1), and I noticed that under the Apps With Usage Access setting, there's only one listing, Google Play Services, and it's turned off. I checked it on, thinking "I probably need that for somethong, right?"

Anyone know what this is, and why I would or wouldn't want it turned on?

AC App
Nexus 6
Google Play Service is the 'backbone' of both the Google Play Store app, and the Google Services apps, such as Gmail, the default Google Calendar app, default Google Contacts app, etc.

As for your question about the Usage Access, I personally can't answer that, because I haven't investigated before.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Google Play Service is the 'backbone' of both the Google Play Store app, and the Google Services apps, such as Gmail, the default Google Calendar app, default Google Contacts app, etc.

As for your question about the Usage Access, I personally can't answer that, because I haven't investigated before.

I know what GPlay Services is and all that. Just wondering what might have been affected with that setting checked off.

AC App
Nexus 7 2013

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
No answers here, just more fellow headscratchers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidQue...s_with_usage_access_and_google_play_services/

I do know, though, that the same feature is turned on by default in Marshmallow, so it may be that it's related to Doze as a power-saving feature?

For anyone who hasn't looked yet, the "warning" that pops up and demands your OK when you click on the toggle reads:
"If you allow access, this app can view general information about the apps on your device, such as how often you use them."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol