Marshmallow update a disastrous, buggy mess ?

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Ok so I'm posting this as a warning/call out to see if anyone else is facing this problem.

Today I got the 6.0 OTA and prior to that my battery was already pretty bad, about 7.5 hrs battery life with 3 hrs SOT.

BUT it would turbo charge like a champ and as long as I had an external battery it was completely usable.

So I update to 6.0 and after charging to 100% my battery is at 2% after 2 hrs 50 minutes. 2 hrs SOT.

So I plug it into the turbo charger and its now charging half as fast.

I get it up to 75% and then plug it into my external battery which usually lets me watch movies at full screen brightness and max volume on front speakers and still slowly charge to full.

This time I'm at 50% external speaker volume, minimum screen brightness AND the battery is still dropping even when the phone is plugged in.

So I check the battery app (google one that is) to see what the heck is sucking all this juice. Is it some vampire application? Yes it sure is.

After spending the entire time watching a movie the screen had used 25% of the battery, which is to be expected. Guess what vampire app was sucking a mind boggling 30%? ANDROID OS

The freaking operating system is using more power than the fracking screen?!

Surely not.

So I check CPU X which monitors what the individual cores are doing to see if that can clarify anything.

Cores 3 and 4 are silent as they should be when not doing anything intense.

BUT cores 1 and 2 are running nearly flat out at 2 GHz!

The app happens to show you the last 10 seconds, minute and last 15 minute average and the dang first two cores are running near red line the entire time!

I double check to make sure I don't have anything running in the background, nope. No GPS, no blue tooth, location set to battery saver mode, nothing to explain why my Nexus 6's engine throttle is stuck on 50%.

The phone is all but unusable in this condition and as the battery ages it will just get worse.

Has anyone else experienced a shocking drop in battery life? I can't believe that after a 57 day delay and T-Mobile testing the heck out of this that this is what Google sends OTA.

What's the point of a nexus if your updates are slow AND cut your battery life in half?

I wish I hadn't upgraded, biggest phone mistake of my life.

iorpan

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
re:

Facing exactly the same problem, as you have mentioned it. I've installed for the first time in my life an app cleaner that manages to extend battery life, that is to say, nearly doubles it. Any other solutions?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes big updates cause issues. I would suggest a cache wipe and possible a FDR if the cache wipe doesn't help.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Don't blame Marshmallow per se, blame the OTA upgrade process. An upgrade can go bad in Windows, Mac, or any other computer-like device. That's why a clean install is always best. I did a complete wipe and fresh install of 6.0 and it has worked perfectly.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I've cleared the cached data and will see if that helps.

I'd like to avoid FDR because I've been downloading and saving a year's worth of a some particular media that I don't want to have to re download.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Ok, I've cleared the cached data and will see if that helps.

I'd like to avoid FDR because I've been downloading and saving a year's worth of a some particular media that I don't want to have to re download.
Transfer it to a computer or use the cloud to back it up.

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Battery life is great here, lasts all day. M was an improvement on my wife's 6.I liked hers so much I bought one a few weeks ago. I left the Sim out to update so I started with marshmallow.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Jdane07

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Man my Nexus 6 on M is a champ. So much so that my Note 5 is collecting dust. Wipe the cache, and see if that helps. Worst case scenario, factory reset.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
So I factory reset my phone 50 minutes ago and it still shows the bugdroid with the spinning gears and says its "erasing".

Is it supposed to take this long? Is something wrong? I had 24 GB of media and apps on the phone but it seems to be an excessive amount of time to delete that.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Did an FDR the other day myself and it took half the day to reset the minimal amount of apps I have installed. Maybe something is going on with Google services. Running fine now, but seriously, I started the FDR around 11am and it wasn't fully restored with updated apps until around 6pm. I only have about 35 additional apps installed.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
No issues here. My battery has improved dramatically. In fact even on the preview version it worked really well. I recommend you do a hard reset. Also, some developers haven't updated their apps to work that good with 6.0. So far I have heard mostly good things from 6.0. Hopefully you can figure things out.

adamgalas1

Jul 31, 2015
Visit site
Well the factory reset fixed the issue. Though 7-8 hrs of battery life is still pretty weak and the phone won't charge fast enough on an external battery to recharge the battery, just keep it dropping slowly. The biggest issue I'm having is how quickly the USB cables go bad. After just a week or two they become very challenging in terms of keeping the phone charging.

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Well the factory reset fixed the issue. Though 7-8 hrs of battery life is still pretty weak and the phone won't charge fast enough on an external battery to recharge the battery, just keep it dropping slowly. The biggest issue I'm having is how quickly the USB cables go bad. After just a week or two they become very challenging in terms of keeping the phone charging.
What is the output rate of your external battery?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan