How long will Google patch their Nexus devices?

bobn151

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am considering leaving android altogether. Not one of the 5 different android devices from Samsung or LG which I own is getting any vulnerability patches. The patching model from Samsung and LG and the carriers seems to be a model of "no patches if it is no longer for sale." I do not want to go to the community ROM model, I've tried that, the wifi is known to have issues or the camera doesn't work inside other apps designed for using cameras. I'm not going that route anymore.

I use my phone, and my tablet to a lesser degree, for nearly all non-work internet usage. Accessing email, accessing my financial institutions. I want a product that is not going to remain vulnerable to have other software installed (keyloggers) or become a part of a botnet.

My Google searches don't reveal the support policy or promise from Google on their Nexus product line in the context of patching vulnerabilities. I only get news that an update is coming, or how to check for updates, nothing really helping answer my question.

Does Google state how long they will support the Nexus products? Links? Is that support from initial market release, or from end of sale? Anyone know how that relates to Apple products, how does Google present the Nexus product as a more secure product as it relates to Apple?

Thanks.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Official Android Blog: An Update to Nexus Devices

Security: 3 years from the device release or 18 months after it comes off the Google Store.
Firmware: At least 2 years.

Samsung has definitely started rolling out the monthly security patches for their flagship devices and LG started as well, but I guess it didn't go out to all devices. The OEM devices will always be at least a month or so behind Nexus on security updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair