Nexus 6 updates?

canawler

Dec 9, 2014
Visit site
Picked up a 64gb Nexus 6 this morning when they came back on Amazon for $299. I know to let it go through all the updates to 6.0.1 before inserting a sim. My question is, will I get monthly security updates once I put my AT&T sim in it?

dakid2k6

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Yes but it will take long. On att forums they state att will "lock your device down" meaning they will release all updates. Currently all nexus 6 are on 6.0.1 but att branded ones and those who have them unlocked but put the sim card in are stuck on 5.1.1 still.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
This might sound crazy, but I would unlock the bootloader (remember, that will erase your phone) and leave it unlocked. Then as new images (updates) are released, load them yourself. Yeah, I know, leaving the bootloader unlocked is a security issue if you're phone gets stolen, but it will make updating you phone much easier and you won't have to worry about erasing data every time you unlock. Also, on the N6, every time you LOCK the bootloader, it will erase your phone as well.

I used to ALWAYS re-lock my bootloader after every manual update I did, but it was just such a PITA to do that every time that now I just leave mine unlocked.