I haven't been paying attention

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
OK. I'm quite sure there's already a thread about this, so, if there is, please redirect me.

I just got a Nexus 6 straight from amazon for Christmas. It's unlocked and non-branded. I am using AT&T's network. Currently running 5.1.1 build LMY48Z.

Is there any idea when the OTA for 6.0 coming out? I know I could sideload... Just didn't want to mess with it.

Posted via the Android Central App

Iran Lievanos

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
The nexus 6 already had that update out. I am currently using my nexus 6 on Verizon running 6.0.

Only thing I can tell you is:
Try checking for updates frequently (effective sometimes, better than not getting)

Wipe cache

Reboot phone.

fjpajerski

Feb 3, 2013
Visit site
Yes, many long angry threads here and also in other forums elsewhere such as at AT&T regarding no Marshmallow OTA roll-out for Nexus 6 phones with AT&T as the carrier ... and the real irritation is that neither Google nor AT&T is yet saying anything about why this is happening and if it ever will be resolved.

I'm like the OP ... got a Nexus 6 from Amazon recently, and went to the AT&T store to have it replace a Nexus 5 on my account. After some weeks, the Nexus 6 was finally OTA'ed to the Dec2015 5.1.1 security level (LMY48Z) ... and there it might sit forever.

My response has been to say good-by to AT&T after many years with them .... a sim card for use in my Nexus 6 on the Google Project Fi network will arrive next week. Whether I will still have to flash it to 6.0.1 to break the LMY48Z dead-end remains to be seen.

Emperor

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, many long angry threads here and also in other forums elsewhere such as at AT&T regarding no Marshmallow OTA roll-out for Nexus 6 phones with AT&T as the carrier ... and the real irritation is that neither Google nor AT&T is yet saying anything about why this is happening and if it ever will be resolved.

I'm like the OP ... got a Nexus 6 from Amazon recently, and went to the AT&T store to have it replace a Nexus 5 on my account. After some weeks, the Nexus 6 was finally OTA'ed to the Dec2015 5.1.1 security level (LMY48Z) ... and there it might sit forever.

My response has been to say good-by to AT&T after many years with them .... a sim card for use in my Nexus 6 on the Google Project Fi network will arrive next week. Whether I will still have to flash it to 6.0.1 to break the LMY48Z dead-end remains to be seen.

Myself and two friends have Nexus 6 on Project Fi. We received our Marshmallow update 1st week of December. Recommend wiping phone popping in the Project Fi sim card ... You'll get the update with 48 hours.

Nexus Beast

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
It's hard to imagine 5.1.1 really being the end of the line, but ya never know I guess. What a black eye that'd be!

AC App
Nexus 6

jetman5843

Apr 4, 2014
Visit site
What you can do is a phone reset. When you restart it leave the AT&T sim card out, connect to WiFi and check for updates. It should update all the way to 6.0.1. I just got an unlocked version myself. This is what I did and it worked for me. I am on AT&T as well.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
What you can do is a phone reset. When you restart it leave the AT&T sim card out, connect to WiFi and check for updates. It should update all the way to 6.0.1. I just got an unlocked version myself. This is what I did and it worked for me. I am on AT&T as well.

I didn't think that would work, because AT&T would still have your IMEI number. You could reset your phone a hundred times and they would still know you're using the device on their service.

AC App
Nexus 6

skipatrol01

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The worst part is had I let it update prior to popping the sim in all would be right with the world. I had no idea and threw the sim in first.

Just going to figure out how to sideload or flash it. Since 6.0.1 is a universal build it shouldn't be an issue moving forward.

Bcannon77

Nov 10, 2015
Visit site
I didn't think that would work, because AT&T would still have your IMEI number. You could reset your phone a hundred times and they would still know you're using the device on their service.

AC App
Nexus 6

I can verify, this does NOT work once you've used the phone with an AT&T Sim in it. They have your IMEI and are blocking the update path.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

AC App
Nexus 6

Not if you take the sim card out before resetting the phone. ;) Leave the sim card out then check for updates.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site
So pull out the sim, factory reset, leave the sim out and it will update itself over wifi all the way to 6.0.1?

Not necessarily. If you have had the phone with AT&T long enough for them to push a build onto it, that build is holding up the OTA and pulling the SIM, doing an FDR and WIFI only STILL doesn't allow the OTA for MM.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Pulling the sim and doing a FDR (Factory Data Reset) won't do anything to get your N6 updated to 6.X.X if it has already been registered on the AT&T network. Period. Why? Because there hasen't been an OTA released to do that update.

If you're going to do an FDR, then just unlock your bootloader (that will wipe the phone just like doing an FDR) and then flash 6.0.1 (MMB29K) and stop waiting on AT&T! If you want go to ADB method, there are LOTS of sites and tutorials available to walk you through the process.

I personally opted to use the Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) by Wugfresh and the process was completely painless. There is a "No Wipe Mode" (doesn't wipe your data) in NRT, but it's not recommended when doing a major version update (like 5.1.1 to 6.X.X). I did use the No Wipe Mode when going from 6.0 to 6.0.1 and that seems to have worked just fine.

Here are a couple of threads I wrote about the process:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...t-tired-waiting-t-installed-mra58r-my-n6.html

and

Update N6 AT&T to Marshmallow? | Nexus 6

Last edited:

skipatrol

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
Pulling the sim and doing a FDR (Factory Data Reset) won't do anything to get your N6 updated to 6.X.X if it has already been registered on the AT&T network. Period. Why? Because there hasen't been an OTA released to do that update.

If you're going to do an FDR, then just unlock your bootloader (that will wipe the phone just like doing an FDR) and then flash 6.0.1 (MMB29K) and stop waiting on AT&T! If you want go to ADB method, there are LOTS of sites and tutorials available to walk you through the process.

I personally opted to use the Nexus Root Toolkit (NRT) by Wugfresh and the process was completely painless. There is a "No Wipe Mode" (doesn't wipe your data) in NRT, but it's not recommended when doing a major version update (like 5.1.1 to 6.X.X). I did use the No Wipe Mode when going from 6.0 to 6.0.1 and that seems to have worked just fine.

Here are a couple of threads I wrote about the process:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...t-tired-waiting-t-installed-mra58r-my-n6.html

and

Update N6 AT&T to Marshmallow? | Nexus 6

Thanks!

Quick question. Build LMY48Z doesn't show as an option in wugfresh. Should I simply select "any build"?

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I left AT&T as soon as I got my Nexus 6 Unlocked phone from Amazon. Already had applied for Project Fi, got the sim and before I put it in activated the phone and was updating to 6.0. There were a few updates, not just 6.0 right away, but got them all at once. Now on 6.0.1. Glad I left AT&T and been doing fine on Project Fi.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt