Connected to 3G instead of 4G

Trophlin

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
While traveling on the road for Christmas I was streaming music and it began to cut out. I noticed I was on 3G so I asked my wife what she was connected to and her IPhone was on 4G (HSPA not LTE). Is anyone else experience this? Obviously I'd like to be connected to 4G rather than 3G. I'm on 6.0.1 build MMB29K. The phone does connect to 4G (I've only really noticed LTE) so it isn't always on 3G. Normally when I'm in town it is on LTE.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which carrier do you use, and is your wife on the same one? HSPA and HSPA+ are technically 3G (although some carriers call it "pseudo 4G" because of its speeds).

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Could just be the coverage in that area you were travelling in..

Posted via nexus 6 on straight talks at&t sim

Trophlin

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
Which carrier do you use, and is your wife on the same one? HSPA and HSPA+ are technically 3G (although some carriers call it "pseudo 4G" because of its speeds).
We are both on T-Mobile. Yes, I know HSPA is 3G technology but on our phones 4G (HSPA) is labeled as "H."
Could just be the coverage in that area you were travelling in..
Posted via nexus 6 on straight talks at&t sim
That would be understandable but my wife's IPhone was on 4G at the exact same time as mine was on 3G. This happened pretty much the entire trip so it wasn't just a split second.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
When your Nexus 6 is connected to HSPA+ (not HSPA), how does it display on the status bar? Does it say H, H+, 3G, or 4G?

tonyr6

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
HSPA and HSPA+ are technically 3G (although some carriers call it "pseudo 4G" because of its speeds).
HSPA is practically dial up speed networks on T-Mobile. It is useless for even streaming low bit rate music. Only LTE can stream music fine.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
HSPA is practically dial up speed networks on T-Mobile. It is useless for even streaming low bit rate music. Only LTE can stream music fine.

Very true. To clarify, I meant that HSPA+ is pseudo-4G because of its speed (not HSPA).:)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude