Nexus 6 - Why is the top speaker louder than bottom?

A

AC Question

Nexus 6 - Top Speaker louder than bottom

Greetings. I received my Nexus 6 from Amazon. It seems as though the top speaker is considerably louder than the bottom. When I flip the phone upside down, it is still the top speaker that is louder.

When I turn the phone to landscape mode, it is the right speaker that it louder. I flip the orientation to where the former right speaker is now the left and vice versa. It's the same problem where the right speaker (the former left speaker) is still louder.

Any help would be appreciated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 - Top Speaker louder than bottom

Mod Note, I will move this to the n6 forums for more visibility

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

Does this happen with all sounds or only sounds within a specific app? Does a YouTube music video have the same issue as listening to an MP3 or Spotify or Pandora or Google Play Music?

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

I've noticed this also. I've had my N6 since launch. It's noticeable enough when I'm really paying attention, but not distracting, even though I do a lot of YouTubing.

AC App
Nexus 6

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Defective device maybe the port is dirty.
Mine has equally loud speakers

waverider-hawaii

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
Hi guys. Sorry I posted this thread without registering and literally forgot where I posted. The problem happens when playing MP3 files using Jet Audio and 2 random MP3 players just to double check. Also on Youtube. On the speaker phone, in landscape mode, the right side is louder, but when I flip the orientation the problem speaker is still the same speaker. In other words, one way the right speaker is louder, and when I re-orientate it, it is the left speaker that is louder. This isn't exactly the way it is when playing stereo sounds. When playing stereo sounds, it is always the right speaker that is louder regardless of orientation.

BTW Motorola is advance shipping me a new phone as they said this isn't normal. But in the meantime I have been tinkering with this phone. I did discover something that caught my attention. In /system/etc/mixer_paths.xml there are a few lines that looked odd to me. I backed up the .xml file and tried to edit it in ES Explorer using ES Note Editor and QuickEdit in order to set both boost values to 2. It won't allow me to save the file saying "Error occured... No enough space!" (yes it said "NO" enough space). I tried my heart out to figure out how to save the edited file using CHMOD in both ES Explorer and TWRP with no luck. I am thinking this may be the problem.

Now I am pretty much a complete noob with Android, so please don't use any bog words, but I am a pretty curious person. BTW the headphone jack is totally fine and plays stereo with equal balance.

edit: Phone is rooted and I am using N6.ElementalX.3.0 Android version 6.0.1.

<path name="speaker">
<ctl name="QUAT_MI2S_RX Channels" value="Two" />
<!-- Disable earpiece mode -->
<ctl name="BOOST earpiece mode" value="Off" />
<!-- Select Left channel on Left IC bypass mode -->
<ctl name="BOOST Left Ch Select" value="1" />
<!-- Select Right channel on Right IC bypass mode -->
<ctl name="BOOST Right Ch Select" value="2" />
<!-- Enable Mixers to power up Left and Right IC's -->
<ctl name="BOOST_STUB Right Mixer right" value="1" />
<ctl name="BOOST_STUB Left Mixer left" value="1" />
</path>