Is A Fi SIM Card The Answer?

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
So I'm driving an unlocked Nexus 6 on AT&T's network. So, as expected, I'm stuck in the 5.1.1 never ending tunnel...

Question. If I put a friend's Project Fi SIM card in my phone and do a factory reset... Would it boot up, register imei with Google and then push 6.0???

Posted via the Android Central App

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
I know.. I know... Flash it. I don't want to. 1 part lazy and 1 part not comfortable. I use Mac so no easy "root kit" like windows users.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
it doesnt take too long....I'd say no more than 5 minutes if you dont include downloading, which you can do other stuff in the meanwhile...
1. install adb, fastboot, and the factory image you would like. How to setup ADB and Fastboot on a Mac or Windows computer | AFTVnews for adb & fastboot, https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images for the factory image
2. prepare all of the stuff. basically, make a folder on your desktop titled "android" and then copy and paste each .img file from the factory images you downloaded. i prefer to rename the bootloader image to bootloader.img and the radio to radio.img (they are quite long and confusing)
3. plug your phone into your computer and turn your phone off. then, while youre holding the power button to turn your phone on, also hold down the volume down button. This will enter into the bootloader.
4. enter this into your computer -> cd /desktop/android [enter] fastboot devices [enter] then make sure your computer returns something
5. fastboot oem unlock [enter] then go the right direction
6. fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
7. fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
8. fastboot flash radio radio.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
9. fastboot flash recovery recovery.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
10. fastboot flash boot boot.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
11. fastboot flash cache cache.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
12. fastboot flash system.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
13. fastboot flash userdata.img [enter] fastboot reboot-bootloader [enter]
14. then go ahead and press start. You will notice that the bootloader screen changes, under the google on the google screen you will see an "unlock" symbol, and the boot animation changes. that's how you know it's working. make sure your phone boots up correctly and go ahead and make sure you can sign in to google and all of that. i wouldnt do much else though because i believe the next and final step erases your data again.
15. go back to bootloader and then on your computer go fastboot devices [enter] to make sure your phone is connected. to finish everything, enter this: fastboot oem lock [enter] this will re-lock your bootloader, so your phone will appear as if nothing happened. this will get rid of that unlock symbol on the google screen when you reboot.
There! now your phone is on marshmallow :)

Of course, you can simply do a FDR with no sim inserted, but nothing is guaranteed...

net62957

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
I removed sim card and factory reset to get to 6.0 and received 6.1 OTA with my T-Mobile sim card in the device.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I know.. I know... Flash it. I don't want to. 1 part lazy and 1 part not comfortable. I use Mac so no easy "root kit" like windows users.

If you're not willing to flash it yourself, then try what you suggested in your first post. If it works great. If not, then you're stuck. How hard is it to borrow a Windows machine and use NRT? You install NRT. You run the app and flash your phone and your done. When you're done, delete the app from the windows machine. It's so easy.

TacoKingYo

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
If you're not willing to flash it yourself, then try what you suggested in your first post. If it works great. If not, then you're stuck. How hard is it to borrow a Windows machine and use NRT? You install NRT. You run the app and flash your phone and your done. When you're done, delete the app from the windows machine. It's so easy.

I also just described the method to do it on OP's Mac.
Tool-kits can be unreliable. It's easier to do either method that i shared (I just realized that I should've said the 1-line method first, then the longer method......)

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Borrowed a friend's pc. Flashed using NRT. Worked great as soon as I got the proper drivers installed.

Now my next question is, when Google releases an update, whether security or bug fix, will I have to do this whole process over? Or will AT&T actually allow the OTA to go though?

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing - chances are that the carrier will not release the update on day 1 - and even then, you may have to wait for your turn. So, it is not a question of "if you'll have to wait", but rather, it is "how long will you have to wait"

AT&T will (hopefully) eventually release the OTA - and even if that brings you up to current monthly security patch level, you'll fall behind when the next monthly release comes around.

Since you know how to flash the images, why bother with all this? Just flash once the factory image is available, and move on with your life.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Borrowed a friend's pc. Flashed using NRT. Worked great as soon as I got the proper drivers installed.

Now my next question is, when Google releases an update, whether security or bug fix, will I have to do this whole process over? Or will AT&T actually allow the OTA to go though?

That's the $10,000 question. 6.0 was released 4 months ago. Several updates have already been released (security updates) as well as 6.0.1 and AT&T has not allowed (or pushed) an OTA.

If you left your phone unlocked (OEM Unlock), then whenever a new image is released, if you use NRT, all you have to do is the "No Wipe" method. That will flash the new image and not mess with your apps or data. If however you "re-locked" your phone after you completed your update, unlocking it again will wipe all of your data anyway so the "No Wipe" method won't matter.

While is best to re-lock your phone (security reasons if your phone is stolen), leaving it unlocked makes manual updates much easier. I now update my phone the very day the new image is released. It takes longer to download the .tgz file (about 15 minutes) than it does to do the actual update (about 10 minutes).

You own a Nexus phone. Don't depend on the carrier or Google to send an OTA. Do it yourself. It's faster and you stay in complete control of what's on your phone.

JMHO...

kurioskurion

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Great advice. I went ahead and relocked it.. smh

But I suppose it wasn't too hard to reset everything since I'm good at backing stuff up. Thanks for the help y'all.

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Yes, their is a chance that with the fi SIM card you'll get the update, only if you didn't take the latest build from att which blocks it. Although recently, specifically today, over on Android police I saw where att may have started allowing the latest ota to go through.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy