Nexus 6 (AT&T) upgraded to Marshmallow USB Connection Option Not Visible. What can I do?

A

AC Question

Nexus 6 (AT&T) upgraded to Marshmallow; USB Connection Option Not Visible

AT&T finally rolled out Marshmallow for users with the Nexus 6 last evening and I upgraded, however when I try to access files via a USB on a variety of Win7/64 boxes I am unable to see/gain access to any of the phone's folders/subfolders. I understand that by default Marshmallow sets the phone for USB charging only, and that according to many many users there is supposed to be either a way to enable file access by going into Notifications and taping the USB connection entry and/or by swiping the shade on the home screen one can make the change there BUT neither of those options show up on my device. I've already restarted everything without success. Thoughts anyone?

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 (AT&T) upgraded to Marshmallow USB Connection Option Not Visible. What can I do?

I would do a factory reset. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to flash the factory image.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 (AT&T) upgraded to Marshmallow USB Connection Option Not Visible. What can I do?

If phone is not being detected by computer, reinstall USB drivers on PC

snovosel

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

I would do a factory reset. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to flash the factory image.

Why a factory reset for a simple upgrade? I (and all other AT&T Nexus 6 owners) don't want to have to flash the factory image just to obtain access to a USB function.

snovosel

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

If phone is not being detected by computer, reinstall USB drivers on PC

The phone is detected by all of the PCs I have connected it to. But as noted above, there is nothing on the phone that allows me to select the use of USB for data transfer.

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site

So you're saying, when your phone is connected to your computer and you pull down the notifications you can see this:

ss_usb_n6_01.png

but if you touch on "USB for charging," you don't see this?

ss_usb_n6_02.png

Last edited:

snovosel

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

Bartman, no, I don't see any of those screens/functions/options when I am connected to the PC. All that happens when connected is the Windows AutoPlay opens with a list of Device Options, e.g. "Open device to view files using Windows Explorer" The Nexus 6 appears as an icon in WE but double-clicking on the icon does nothing.

I don't have what you have pictured above; that is, when I pull down the Notifications shade, there is no "USB Debugging Connected" or "USB for Charging" option.

I had no problems accessing any files before installing Marshmallow.

Last edited:

snovosel

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

[clean up]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

[clean up]

BartmanJax

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
Bartman, no, I don't see any of those screens/functions/options when I am connected to the PC. All that happens when connected is the Windows AutoPlay opens with a list of Device Options, e.g. "Open device to view files using Windows Explorer" The Nexus 6 appears as an icon in WE but double-clicking on the icon does nothing.

I don't have what you have pictured above; that is, when I pull down the Notifications shade, there is no "USB Debugging Connected" or "USB for Charging" option.

I had no problems accessing any files before installing Marshmallow.

Interesting.

You won't see the USB Debugging option unless you have unlocked the Developer Options (Settings > About Phone > press 7 times on Build Number > back to Settings > Developer Options > USB Debugging to On).

Not seeing the "USB for charging" is puzzling. The only thing I can think of might be the USB drivers on your Windows machine. Have you tried using these drivers from Google?

Google USB Driver | Android Developers

If that doesn't work, try wiping the cache partition (no, it won't wipe your apps or data).

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...prod_answer_detail/a_id/102414/p/30,6720,9293

If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to do an FDR. It wouldn't be the first time an FDR was necessary to fix an OTA update.

Last edited:

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

[clean up]

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

MOD note : please keep things civil.

--

I had a very similar issue with my Nexus 6 and the laptop I used to have here at work. No matter what I did, I could never get full use of the USB connection once I updated to 6.0 (release). Near as I can tell, based on the million different things I tried, is that something on the computer itself was messed up and the drivers were having issues. My problem was slightly different, as I could access the file system and issue fastboot commands. But ADB was dead in the water and couldn't see the phone.

I made sure to get my laptop updated as soon as I was allowed by my IT dept. because I wanted to get the ability to ADB back (I said something about battery charging, drive errors, blah blah). :) All is well on the new, much nicer, laptop.

While the OP has slightly different symptoms, it still leads me to believe that the problem stems from an issue with the drivers on the computer... and has nothing to do with the phone.

You have to go in there and purge all the old drivers, hopefully cleaning out whatever crud is keeping things from communicating. The best source of infromation I've come across was actually in the driver installation/troubleshooting guide of Wugfresh's Nexus Root Toolkit... has some good info on how to manually remove the Nexus/ADB/Fastboot drivers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca