Nexus 6 or Nexus 6p

LordGreylock

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Here's my dilemma. I'm debating on getting a nexus 6p but the Nexus 6 is $100 cheaper on Amazon. Is it really worth the extra $100 to go for the 6p.

I'm trying to keep my cost down on this phone but I don't want something that isn't very good but it seems that the Nexus 6 is still quite an excellent device.

Oh, also the reason I'm not considering any other phones is because I'm going to be using this on Google Fi.

Lepa79

Apr 5, 2015
Visit site
I had both. Loved nexus 6. It's still a great phone. In short, both phones will have the exact same software. You are basically paying extra $100 for a much better quality build, better screen, finger print scanner (crazy fast and works every time), faster cpu, and much much better camera. That's a lot things for $100 more. Go for 6p.

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
Definitely the nexus 6.Looked at the nexus 6p. I wouldnt buy it even if the nexus 6p was half price. Sorry not for me.

Posted via the Android Central App

kct1975

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Definitely the nexus 6.Looked at the nexus 6p. I wouldnt buy it even if the nexus 6p was half price. Sorry not for me.

Personally, I feel the exact same way!

For one thing, I really love the larger screen on the Nexus 6, and I also love the front facing stereo speakers.

I would have a really hard time give up both of those features.

Also I like the build quality of the Nexus 6 too.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site

For one thing, I really love the larger screen on the Nexus 6, and I also love the front facing stereo speakers.

I agree with both of you. The N6P is not a big enough jump to warrant getting it. If you're coming from a Nexus 5, then yeah it's a nice leap. The people that say that the N6P is much better than the N6 are only fooling themselves and trying to justify their purchase. The 2.7ghz. quad core cpu in the N6 is still the fastest on the market.

Plus, I will no longer be a slave to the "I need a new phone every year" mentality. Every 2 years seems reasonable, and for some, maybe every 3 years. It's the media feeding us lies about what we "must have", and what we need to spend our money on if we are going to keep up with our neighbors.

Anyway, no thanks, I don't need or want a 6P.

thunderbolt_nick

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I agree with both of you. The N6P is not a big enough jump to warrant getting it. If you're coming from a Nexus 5, then yeah it's a nice leap. The people that say that the N6P is much better than the N6 are only fooling themselves and trying to justify their purchase. The 2.7ghz. quad core cpu in the N6 is still the fastest on the market.

Plus, I will no longer be a slave to the "I need a new phone every year" mentality. Every 2 years seems reasonable, and for some, maybe every 3 years. It's the media feeding us lies about what we "must have", and what we need to spend our money on if we are going to keep up with our neighbors.

Anyway, no thanks, I don't need or want a 6P.
I will also second (or third) this. I'm still loving the performance on my N6 which has hardly happened on any Android I've owned. But hey, is your money. Get what you feel confident with. Although, I must admit that camera has me super tempted.

mlynch01

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I have both as well, the Nexus 6 for work and the 6P as my personal device. I love the Nexus 6 but when I was deciding on which device I wanted to purchase with my own money I thought about which device I would keep longer without wanting or needing to upgrade. Mind you what you have to look at what features are important to you in a device. Three features stood out to me, 1. Camera, this was a big one for me as I take a lot of family pics and 6P despite the lack of OIS is alot better than the 6 in this department. 2. Fingerprint sensor, I want my device to be future proof so that as developers continue to add features for the fingerprint sensor into their apps in the future I will be able to utilize those features without having to considering a new device for that. 3. 64bit architecture over 32bit, I guess this can be a continuation of future proofing but I think Jerry or Russell might have mentioned this in one of their articles as well. But the fact is this is the direction that Android is going in and the fact that the 6P's is running on 64bit hardware played a part in my decision. So in the 6P I feel like I have a device that I can keep for a few years and not have to worry about the need to purchase something new because of missing hardware features. Not taking anything away from the 6 as it still runs great but if you have the extra money for the 6P I would go for it because it might save you money in the long run. But if your just looking for a great deal right now and the stuff I mentioned is of no importance to you then the N6 is a great buy.

Sullie714

May 9, 2014
Visit site

I have both phones. I much prefer the 6P and the 6 is now my backup phone. Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 6p doesn't have Front stereo speakers.......

mimsiesboy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have both phones. I much prefer the 6P and the 6 is now my backup phone. Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that the 6p doesn't have Front stereo speakers.......

I think it so telling that we are even having this conversation. I considered the 6p but instead bought my wife and I each a nexus 6 on Amazon for the price of a 6p. We are both on project Fi. It's last year's model and it still competes. There may be better but not by much.

LordGreylock

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, not sure if it made my decision easier or harder! :D I did find some new sealed Nexus 6's on Swappa for about $280-300 which I think is a great price. So I'm leaning toward picking a 6 up, seems like for that price it's an amazing deal for a phone that despite being a year older is still excellent and I'm not out a lot of money.

PkPaulo

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies, not sure if it made my decision easier or harder! :D I did find some new sealed Nexus 6's on Swappa for about $280-300 which I think is a great price. So I'm leaning toward picking a 6 up, seems like for that price it's an amazing deal for a phone that despite being a year older is still excellent and I'm not out a lot of money.

Go for it bro !!

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I currently use both and the 6P is better in every category.

What he said.

I had a good 13 months on the Nexus 6. Excellent phone. It ran great on 6.0 still, took good (not great) pictures. Screen, battery life, you name it, it did it well. For the prices that it can be had now, it is an incredible value.... putting it up against the phones in its current price point, it pretty much spits in their face, steals their lunches and hangs them from a flagpole by their undies.

That being said... the 6P is better. The one thing the 6 really has going for it is bang for the buck (like someone said, they got two Nexus 6's for the price of a single 6P).... but even with that lens, I'm quite pleased with my decision to get it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma