Is owning a Nexus 6 in 2016 worth sticking with?

sictheangel

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
Hey, I spent over $700 on this phone-- got it at launch. We're now 6 months or so from the 2 year mark and I still love this phone and would not trade it for anything. I'm keeping it till it completely dies on me, and then maybe I'll get whatever Nexus is out then-- especially since I'll most likely be able to finance it through Project Fi, which I've recently signed up for.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
For me it is. Never again will I pay a premium price for a newly released phone. Back on January 2015, I paid $750 for my 64gb Nexus 6. I could buy one now for $300. Was it worth the $450 "depreciation" to be an early adopter? Hell NO! Depending on what the next Nexus is, I'll either stick with my N6 until 6-8 months after it is released or I'll pick up a 6P when they're closing them out.

To pay $549 for a 64GB or $649 for a 128GB N6P is absolutely out of the question. When they close them out, they'll be $250-$300. Then I might get one.
I completely agree. I just put a SIM card in my Nexus 6 and have kept it in since. This phone is still really great and I plan to keep it. This fall I will get the 6P when the prices go down. There really is no benefit in my eyes to get the latest Nexus device.

Ed Briggs

May 14, 2013
Visit site
This fall I will get the 6P when the prices go down. There really is no benefit in my eyes to get the latest Nexus device.

I'm going a step further and waiting until '17 when this years Nexus is cheaper. The Nexus 6 will do just fine until then. Even the OG Nexus 5 is still good enough for most people.

udnh

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
Even the OG Nexus 5 is still good enough for most people.

My dad has the N5 and recently changed his battery. He's really happy and only need to charge the phone every other day (well, he probably doesn't use the phone very much). So for those who want to get some extra life out of a phone, changing the battery might be a worthwhile option.

krishnansasikumar

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Keeping the Nexus 6 till the next Nexus(2016 Nexus) gets sold at a highly discounted rate.

So I'm going to skip one generation and be one generation behind. Makes a lot of financial sense. I definitely have no use with the latest models for my usage

Nexus 7 '13.... Android M

Bushkesh

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I would've switched to N6P if not for the S810 processor. If im gonna pay up a premium I expect to have the latest, I thought that was what Nexus was about having the latest and leading the pack not 6 months late. I know I know how current hardware is more than capable of handling Android but I'm one those people who also cares about having the highest specs certainly when I'm paying that much. Which is why I'm gonna stick to my N6, which I had bought for 367$, and see what the next Nexus has to offer.

Posted via the Android Central App

nunjabusiness

Feb 26, 2011
Visit site
I am another one who just bought an N6 (off Amazon) that was barely used. Paid about $210, but it didn't come with the turbo charger, just a craptastic chinese standard wall wart. Ordered the Turbo charger for $15 more, no biggie.

I see this as a major upgrade from my previous whip, an LG G3, which was still pretty damn decent.
The screen, memory and performance just blew me away as soon as I fired it up. I am still working out the kinks with battery life and mounting it in my car nicely, but I am loving this beast. It is butter smooth as is and only unlocked bootloader and got root and TWRP installed.
I cannot see paying stupid money (read: Apple level) for a phone and going with LAST year's flagships seems to be a hot trend that works for me. I expect to get plenty of use out of this until something comes along that is a significant improvement over it.

geebee1932

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I may be the odd ball but I have a 6P and switched back to the N6. I just liked the size of the phone and the screen better. Although I liked the fingerprint sensor, I hated the hugh top and botto bezels. I also really missed wireless charging. I switch back and forth several times and noticed no performance differences. I always use a case to the build quality is not really an issue. I think calls sound better on the N6 as well.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I am another one who just bought an N6 (off Amazon) that was barely used. Paid about $210, but it didn't come with the turbo charger, just a craptastic chinese standard wall wart. Ordered the Turbo charger for $15 more, no biggie.

I see this as a major upgrade from my previous whip, an LG G3, which was still pretty damn decent.
The screen, memory and performance just blew me away as soon as I fired it up. I am still working out the kinks with battery life and mounting it in my car nicely, but I am loving this beast. It is butter smooth as is and only unlocked bootloader and got root and TWRP installed.
I cannot see paying stupid money (read: Apple level) for a phone and going with LAST year's flagships seems to be a hot trend that works for me. I expect to get plenty of use out of this until something comes along that is a significant improvement over it.
It makes more sense to buy last year's model and save some cash. At least it makes sense to me.

PublicImageLtd

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I recently bought a Nexus 6 32GB White and updated it to Marshmallow 6.0.1 February 2016 update and I sometimes see the Nexus 6P as the 'better' device but will cost me more money. Should I stay with the Nexus 6?

6P not a better device. My wife went from N6 to 6p, she hates the smaller inferior screen. I detest 6P too.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
6P not a better device. My wife went from N6 to 6p, she hates the smaller inferior screen. I detest 6P too.

Depends on personal preference. Those that want fingerprint sensor, USB type C, brighter screen, better camera and aluminum over plastic will consider the 6P a better device than the N6.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678