Google fi vs straight talk

uncrx2003

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Would love to hear some opinions on this. One of the big reasons why I got the nexus 6 so I can use it on straight talk with the Verizon SIM. I've been with them for about a yr. It has been great on the Verizon network. However, it seems like the data speed is definitely slow down. Download is around 5 mbs. Sometimes you do feel the "governor like" function with it. I have been using about 4-5 gb per month. It would definitely be more expensive with that much data on fi. I'm assuming the speed will be much better on fi. Most of the data usage is from streaming music in the car. I don't really watch any video on the phone. Is it worth it?

Iran Lievanos

Dec 22, 2015
Visit site
I realize this is straight talk vs. FI, and being a previous fi customer, I can tell you that fi is decent speed wise. You would probably be spending less money on straight talk, but fi would probably have better data service. Have you ever considered using Tmobile? 4 members of my family including myself switched over and have been loving it so far. Unlimited data, unlimited international and 14 gb's of personal hotspot for 50 bucks a month. Not to mention the awesome wifi calling features. Data is on par with other big companies these days, and they do a good job...

uncrx2003

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input. I had T-mobile a while back. The one big issue with them was that I had pretty bad coverage inside the hospital (work). This where I need the phone the most. Their signal doesn't penetrate the wall very well at all so I had to drop them. I don't know if it has improved since then. Just looked on their website, it looks like that is applied to 4 lines plan. I will not fit into that category.

Last edited:

kraski

Jan 3, 2009
Visit site
Several things to keep in mind re:T-Mobile. T-Mo is rolling out band 12, which is supposed to be much better at wall penetration. Second, Project Fi uses T-Mobile and Sprint, switching to whichever is stronger. So, you're not getting away from T-Mo that way. If you have access to connect your phone to wifi at the hospital, Fi includes wifi calling, using the Hangouts dialer. You can do both with the phone app, but only the Hangouts dialer forces wifi calling.

What about data on Fi? That depends on how much you use and how often you can use wifi. I mostly work from home. There's available wifi at home, work (when I need to be there), places to eat, etc. I signed up for a 1 gig plan, thinking I'd go over and change it when I found out what I needed. Thanks to lots of wifi access, I always get a large credit toward the next month's data.

snerber

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
How do you figure Fi has better data service when they run off TMobile's cell network and whatever wifi is around? Straighttalk can connect to Verizon and AT&T, which are the two strongest cellular networks. Also Straighttalk gives you 5GB for $45 before they start throttling your speed whereas that would get you 2.5GB with Fi.

32gig

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
Straight Talk also added a 10 gb plan for $55 per month, which is what I am using, think it comes to 61 and some change after taxes and fees. You should try their at&t sim card, they aren't throttled at no 5msbp like the Verizon sim is.

Posted via the Nexus 6 on Straight Talks AT&T sim..

anon(55900)

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
But with Tmobile, and I had this happen, was in hospital, cellular didn't work, I was on tmobile and tmobile you can talk over wifi!

So I was still able to make and receive calls, plus had text and fb.