Ambient Display disappeared?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
My phone used to show ambient display when the screen was off.

I haven't seen it in ages. Several apps post normal notifications in the normal notifications bar which I can see when screen's on.

I can hear sound notifications when the screen's off. But it never seems to activate Ambient display.
I've tried toggling Settings, Display, Ambient off and on. Restarted phone. Tried moving the phone.

Did they phase this out?

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I don't think so, but I can delete / review some utility apps. I have ES File Explorer, App Cache Cleaner, Avast Cleanup (just got that today, though), Call Blocker (dunno if that would affect it), Nova Launcher (could be related but haven't found a setting in Nova and found a comment by someone who uses Nova and has Ambient ...so perhaps not. )

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Are you using a screen protector? When the N6 was first introduced a lot of people were running into different sorts of problems with the proximity sensor on the N6 being "covered" by screen protectors or "blinded" because of gaps under screen protectors. I thought the proximity sensor issue had already been addressed in MM, but you never know. You can always try the simple fix at the XDA link below just in case:

Tempered Glass Screen Protectors? - Post #348

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have the same plastic screen protector that has always been on the phone. It's made for the Nexus 6 and has a cutout for the sensor at top.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
ES File Explorer has more recently gained a few unnecessary features that might cause issues. Try uninstalling it and see if the problem persists.

koam

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I uninstalled ES File Explorer. no change.
I just go the April Android update...maybe that will fix it.'

It didn't fix it.

Last edited:

electricpete

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I think it may have to do with the per-app settings of the apps involved?

May need to exclude from doze (battery optimization)?

If you're wanting notifications during lockscreen, maybe turn off any option to hide personalized info on lockscreen?