Update bottleneck

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Now, this isn't confusing at all! I haven't seen word one about the OTA zip for MOB30D, and yet Google releases not one but two factory images for the Nexus 6 today:

6.0.1 (MMB30G)
6.0.1 (MOB30I)

WTF!!??

I'm beginning to think this is a plot to frustrate everyone into jumping aboard the N Preview train.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
It's my understanding that MOB contains a new radio vs MMB. They will be updating MMB until all the carriers get around to approving the new radio. Because I have an at&t sim dropped in my nexus 6, it will most likely OTA to MMB30G(with May security updates). This knowing at&t never gets in a hurry when it comes to approvals.

rickms80

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
FWIW, I've been running MOB30i for about a week on AT&T with no issues.

I'm sure it works fine. At&t hasn't signed off on the new radio in MOB builds just yet. That just means as long as your Nexus 6 has an at&t sim, it will get the MMB build until that approval happens. You can easily get around that though by side loading MOB OTA.

Posted via the Android Central App

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure it works fine. At&t hasn't signed off on the new radio in MOB builds just yet. That just means as long as your Nexus 6 has an at&t sim, it will get the MMB build until that approval happens. You can easily get around that though by side loading MOB OTA.

Posted via the Android Central App
Yup. That's how it happened...

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
So unsurprisingly, I wasn't getting security patches on AT&T - presumably because I was on MOB30I.

I sideloaded the Nexus OTA image for MOB30O and all is well. Skipped June's...

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Geez, is ATT the reason that the MMB build is still getting updated, or is Verizon in on that, too?

On a side note, if anyone who has looked over the Android Security Bulletin can tell me why the Nexus 6 (and 5X and 6P) are specifically named in relation to only 4 or 5 "vulnerabilities" while the Nexus 5 is named in relation to at least 20, I'd appreciate it.

theduder

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Geez, is ATT the reason that the MMB build is still getting updated, or is Verizon in on that, too?

On a side note, if anyone who has looked over the Android Security Bulletin can tell me why the Nexus 6 (and 5X and 6P) are specifically named in relation to only 4 or 5 "vulnerabilities" while the Nexus 5 is named in relation to at least 20, I'd appreciate it.
What does the previous month look like? If the other handsets have many more and the 5 had far fewer, that would tell me that the 5 is getting less love (getting fixes later) than the newer handsets.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
What does the previous month look like?
Even if I did a month-by-month comparison (which I gotta say I'm waaaaay too lazy to do), I'd still just be guessing since I've never even used a Nexus 5. Sooner or later somebody somewhere will explain whether this is an example of neglect or timely intervention for the N5. But on the face of it, it does look like Google was playing catch-up.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08