cracked screen; all replacement shops are quoting more than the phone is worth...

paradigmGT

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I cracked the screen on my Nexus 6, however the LCD and digitizer still work fine. Every replacement shop I have spoken with in NYC is quoting me $220-250 US to replace the entire LCD / glass screen together and won't remove and replace the glass screen alone. I paid $250 CDN ($180 US) for this phone, so spending that much on a screen replacement isn't worth it to me. I purchased a Moto X Pure for $250 today just to use as a backup.

What alternatives do I have? How difficult is replacing the glass screen alone? I know its bonded to the LCD, but is it worth while to try and repair? Can anyone suggest a shop that does glass screen replacement alone in NYC?

Thanks

worldspy99

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I recommend you look at a few DIY videos. Also best to buy the frame, LCD and glass assembly together on eBay and sort it out yourself. Sometimes, you can buy a bricked device with intact LCD and extract the LCD frame assembly and swap it out as well. There are quite a few options. If you need recommendations on specific sellers on eBay (some are okay and there are some that are fantastic) ping me.

DWooderson

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem back in November... a badly cracked screen, the digitizer still worked, and repair was way too expensive.

I sold the cracked N6 on eBay for $140, and bought a brand new N6 on eBay for $299, so my net cost for the swap was $160.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. The "glass" is the digitizer. That it still works doesn't mean that it's not cracked.

2. $250 (US$180) is the subsidized price, not the actual price. (Check your bill and see how much you;re paying every month for the phone.)

3. Building something piece by piece is normally much more expensive than having it built in a factory. (That's why replacing the NiCd battery in my hybrid car would cost more than the current value of the car.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zif835