Opinions on the Pixel phones?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
For one, even the larger version is much much shorter than my Nexus 6
It's actually not, which is what baffles me. The Nexus 6 is 6.27" tall and sports a 5.96" display and two front-facing speakers. The Pixie XL is 6.09" tall with a 5.5" display and a slit for an earpiece on front. An all-around marvel of engineering.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm...

Stupidly expensive! :-\
Too small, for me it had to be 5.7-6" minimum
Really not that much of an upgrade over the N6 to warrant it's stupid price
iPhone rip-off build and not a good one at that
Too small and stupidly expensive... Did I already say that?! :confused:

I've an 32GB N6 running Nougat faultlessly; still blisteringly fast and an 64GB iPhone 6S Plus; best of both worlds IMO. Quite happy staying put...

Exactly this! I would have considered it if the screen size was at least 5.7! But no..... Google keeps making the screens smaller. They're going backwards. The bezels are hideous. The Nexus 6 is the perfect looking phone in my opinion. Large screen with minimal bezels and speakers. Don't understand why companies can't duplicate this. It's like Google reached its peak with the Nexus 6. Which is why I'll be carrying this phone well into 2017. There's no worthy successor right now.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
Exactly this! I would have considered it if the screen size was at least 5.7! But no..... Google keeps making the screens smaller. They're going backwards. The bezels are hideous. The Nexus 6 is the perfect looking phone in my opinion. Large screen with minimal bezels and speakers. Don't understand why companies can't duplicate this. It's like Google reached its peak with the Nexus 6. Which is why I'll be carrying this phone well into 2017. There's no worthy successor right now.
I would struggle to go back to 5.5" screen. The lenovo Phab2 pro @ 6.4" is interesting but then guess I'll be sacrificing the android updates.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Which is why I'll be carrying this phone well into 2017. There's no worthy successor right now.

I agree. Although I made my peace with the 2016 phones as the leaks and rumors seeped in over the summer, I was still hoping to keep a foot in the beta program and sign on for beta testing Android O by scoring a price-reduced 6P once the Pixels were officially released. But thanks in large part to Google capping display size at 5.5" and dropping the dual front-facing speakers this year, the 6P's price hasn't freaking budged!

By this time last year, the Nexus 6 was already well on its way to half price, so a great Black Friday deal was practically guaranteed. This year, no soap. I doubt the 32GB 6P will get any more than a $50 price cut on Black Friday.

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
I would struggle to go back to 5.5" screen. The lenovo Phab2 pro @ 6.4" is interesting but then guess I'll be sacrificing the android updates.

Yeah I was looking to possibly get that phone. That huge screen would be awesome. But there's a couple of ifs. First, will it get updates like the Pixel phones? And Capacitive buttons? Really?

Orion78

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Btw played with the Pixel phones at a Verizon store today and I'm not impressed at all. Too generic. The bezels are a disaster. The screens are just too small. Compared it to my Nexus 6 and it made the pixels look like a child's toy. Other than the software....it's just not a worthy upgrade. Nexus 6 still holds up well....even today.