The delay is over: Android 7.1.1 for Nexus 6 coming Jan 2017.

uncrx2003

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
After about 30 minutes playing with it, I was finally able to sideload it tonight. The bluetooth issue seems to be fixed. #hopefully

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
So I decided to try and sideload tonight and put up with the speakerphone issue (I dont use it very often).

So got ADB platform tools on my windows PC
Set phone to allow USB debugging
Downloaded 7.1.1 from developer.google
Connected via USB and the phone showed up in ADB DEVICES
Put phone into recovery then chose load from adb
then used ADB sideload xxx.zip referencing the download from google
On my phone it shows opening, verifying then come back with E:footer is wrong, E: signature verification failed and the install aborts.

Any ideas welcome - checked XDA and a few other sites and thought I was doing it correctly.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
You downloaded the wrong image.

Ah right - I went for the factory image - I need the OTA ones then - now do you need to incrementally load the OTA 7.1.1 images - there are two available, suspect one is with Jan updates (N6F26Q) one Feb (N6F26R)?

So can you go direct to the 'R' one or do you have to load the 'Q' one first.

Thanks for your help!

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
In case it makes a difference I am currently running 7.0 Feb patches as received OTA from Google.

Update: sorted now. Jan wouldn't load as it said I had a later update. Feb 7.1.1 loaded fine using ADB.

Last edited:

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Nexus 6 to 7.1.1

Any ideas why I could still be on the October security patch with 7.0?? All stock, GPlay purchased N6 running on AT&T. I know there's some of us out here in the same boat.

Will we ever get these updates OTA? I'm thinking not, and I blame AT&T because it's easy!

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site

Any ideas why I could still be on the October security patch with 7.0?? All stock, GPlay purchased N6 running on AT&T. I know there's some of us out here in the same boat.

Will we ever get these updates OTA? I'm thinking not, and I blame AT&T because it's easy!
Not just ATT. I am on T-Mobile and experiencing the same thing.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Just curious: had you enrolled your phone in the 7.0 beta program at any point? I'm convinced that enrolling in the beta program screwed things up for me. I think October was the last security patch I got via OTA, too. I gave up waiting and have been sideloading since December.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site

Just curious: had you enrolled your phone in the 7.0 beta program at any point? I'm convinced that enrolling in the beta program screwed things up for me. I think October was the last security patch I got via OTA, too. I gave up waiting and have been sideloading since December.

As a matter of fact I was on the beta track.

I am in the same situation. Unfortunately the beta page no longer lists our devices so we can't opt out. I still have a best buy gift card on Android Pay so I'm going to use that then Root & ROM it.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site

Unfortunately the beta page no longer lists our devices so we can't opt out.
I don't think it would make any difference: I did un-enroll my phones from the program once Google confirmed that the Nexus 6 would not be eligible for any post-7.0 beta OTAs. I'm assuming that short circuiting OTA updates appeared as an unintended consequence of some flaw in the way the beta program manipulated account information.