Google assistant

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Should be turned on later this week (assuming Wednesday) with an update to Google Play Services and a backend switch.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Not yet (running 6.13 on both my Moto Z and a few other phones), but it should be enabled via servers and also an update to the app.

I've used it before on some of my custom ROM-touting phones, so it's nice to have it on my daily driver.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I got a Google app update this week, and manually updated GPServices to 10.2.99 from .98, but still don't have Assistant.

Actually, after updating GPServices, the Play Store is still showing that I'm still on the older version, even though app settings shows 10.2.99. I checked for the right architecture of the apk download and all.

Anyone else have experience with this?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Again, I sorta have access to the assistant, but it's obviously not the full app, and it only works off and on. The assistant seems to be tethered to Screen Search, and it only pops up in response to a spoken "OK Google." Long pressing the Home button only brings up Screen Search options.

Sometimes the assistant works well: I set a reminder to buy Advil at a specific supermarket, and the reminder popped up when I visited the store the next day. Other times, the assistant will answer a question, but the voice sounds like a speeded up tape-recorded voice. I only happened on to it when I noticed that I was getting a Settings suggestion to record my voice, even though I'd done that months ago.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Again, I sorta have access to the assistant, but it's obviously not the full app, and it only works off and on. The assistant seems to be tethered to Screen Search, and it only pops up in response to a spoken "OK Google." Long pressing the Home button only brings up Screen Search options.

Sometimes the assistant works well: I set a reminder to buy Advil at a specific supermarket, and the reminder popped up when I visited the store the next day. Other times, the assistant will answer a question, but the voice sounds like a speeded up tape-recorded voice. I only happened on to it when I noticed that I was getting a Settings suggestion to record my voice, even though I'd done that months ago.

Sounds like you might just still be on the regular Google Now app? ...Based on the app behavior you're describing, plus it can already to those kind of location based reminders.

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I got Assistant going tonight, buuut now how do I get to the Google app to see my cards, stories etc, other than launching it from the app drawer? I'm on Nova launcher so I don't swipe left on my home screen to get to Now.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I got Assistant going tonight, buuut now how do I get to the Google app to see my cards, stories etc, other than launching it from the app drawer? I'm on Nova launcher so I don't swipe left on my home screen to get to Now.
If you have the Google search widget, tapping that and then the "G" again will take you there.

bigmick777

Apr 10, 2015
Visit site
I still haven't got this. I side loaded the march updates to fix the speakerphone issue not sure if that makes a difference.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I still haven't got this. I side loaded the march updates to fix the speakerphone issue not sure if that makes a difference.
Seems like too long for a rollout even for Google. What build are you on ? a 6.x or 7.x build?

To play safe, check the permissions in your Google, Google+, Google Play Store and Google Play Services apps: enable all permissions if they're not already enabled. Maybe turn on Location services, too, if that's currently off. And reboot if you make any changes. (And if you know how, just for the hell of it, clear cache as well.) Probably wouldn't hurt to be sure that your phone is set up for OK Google detection.

I suppose it's entirely possible that this server-side rollout has gotten stalled for some reason (or they could be working backwards from the most recent nougat build to the earliest marshmallow build), but it seems just as likely that something may be running interference between your phone and Google.

Sumit Sangtani

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site

I'm on the 7.1.1 april update myself and I have assistant. I did have to change my device language to English US but i'm guessing your's already is. My marshmallow running lenovo phone also has assistant.