Tester for DARK ROM?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Does this one support themeing like Substratum?
Yes, it does. I just installed Substratum (on my unrooted N6) and applied a black theme. Looks FN incredible! Yeah, I had to pay 2 bucks for the theme, but I gotta spend that Rewards money on somethin'!

(Yes, it would be nice if CMTE came back in some form. But now that those themes have been monetized, fat chance.)

Last edited:

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
If you downloaded the ROM from Basketbuild (old server prior to 3/27) you NEED to dirty flash the build from the new server to continue receiving OTA updates.

Last edited:

latty

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Flashed it with Magisk. Lost root a couple times but that's a Magisk deal. It's running smooth and haven't had a single issue. Love it. Gonna put substratum on here just to see how it works. Thanks ProBird79 I've been looking for a solid ROM. I'll let you know if any bugs arise.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
An update was pushed today. If you haven't receive it yet check your System Updates. If you still can't get it then you have the old build (cm-14.1-20170324-NIGHTLY-shamu) from the old server. You need to install the build from the new server, which I've updated the download links in the original post, to continue receiving further OTA updates.

Changelog:
- Added auto brightness with Night Light
- Updated OpenDelta
- Few bug fixes

Last edited:

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
FWIW, I took the test and failed. Project Fi kicked me to the curb. Bummer since I liked the ROM otherwise and really liked the idea of getting updates pushed to the phone whenever the dev cranked them out. But for now I would not recommend the ROM to anyone on Project Fi who doesn't already have a lot of experience troubleshooting custom ROMs.

And I definitely would not recommend it to any other dolt on Project Fi who has never flashed a custom ROM before.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I thought it was working for you on Fi?
I thought it was, too, until it turned on me. The problems started after the 04/02 update. I found that I was no longer able to place or receive calls over my university's Wi-Fi. The phone would go through the motions of connecting, but then it failed each time. Because the phone had been recently updated, I decided to check that the Phone app was still configured for Wi-Fi calling. That's when I found that the phone's phone service (com.android.phone) would crash every time I tried to check call settings in the Phone app (Settings > Calls). That weird persistent problem only got worse, and by the time I'd had enough, phone services was crashing even after a clean reflash and with no SIM card in the phone.

I decided to take the phone back to stock, though, when the dev told me that he saw a lot of things wrong in the logcat I sent him but nothing that gave him a clue about the persistent phone services problem. (I was also getting a lot of "Select SIM" notifications on the display that didn't actually let me select anything.) I'm guessing the villain in the piece is Project Fi because I've noticed "observations" about working with Fi on various custom ROMs that were similar to my own. Chief among them is the phone's showing a sudden preference for Sprint over T-Mobile even when the Sprint signal is marginally weaker (this on phones that had almost always connected to T-Mobile when running stock).

It also looked to me like Sprint's network was claiming the SIM as its own instead of recognizing it as a Project Fi SIM. Sprint basically hijacked the phone and "reconfigured" the SIM at least twice that I noticed. At one point one of the "Select SIM" messages got more specific and asked me to "Select Sprint SIM." I'm gonna assume that had something to do with the fact that Wi-Fi calling had been hobbled on the phone, but what do I know.

The phone was doing other weird ****, too, but it would take too long to write it all out. If the dev's at all curious, my logcat will tell him more than I ever could.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I thought it was, too, until it turned on me. The problems started after the 04/02 update.
Oh, ok, that must've been you on XDA that posted about this. A clean flash should've cleared everything up. Do you remember if you enabled all permissions within your Project Fi app? Did you test the phone out before adding Substratum and whatever additional add-ons you might've had? When I've had weird issues arise, such as yours, that is when I began doing multiple wipes in a row before reflashing for a clean install.

I completely understand you need to have a solid working phone. I wish I could get ahold of a Fi sim to test it out myself. Come give the next build another whirl (I believe we'll be getting 7.1.2)... I really don't think it is a Fi issue. If so it is the code within the build itself and not the network. But since you already had it working on the previous builds I doubt any of that was touched.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Come give the next build another whirl (I believe we'll be getting 7.1.2).
If a 7.1.2 build shows up sometime in May, I'll give it a whirl. I'll have plenty of time to tinker then. And I'll have some idea of what to look for/watch out for, too.

I think all permissions for Fi were enabled, but I don't have a clear memory of it. No, I didn't test the phone before adding Substratum; I wouldn't have known what to test for then anyway. I also don't know with any certainty when the com.android.phone problem actually became a problem since I never checked the Phone app call settings on either the 3/24 or 3/27 builds. I only checked them after the 4/2 build when I discovered that I could no longer use Wi-Fi calling at work. I also can't necessarily rule out my problems with installing TWRP as a contributing factor either.

I'm curious, though, what you mean by "doing multiple wipes in a row before reflashing for a clean install." Do you mean wiping everything but data and internal storage? Or do you mean wiping everything? Like the TWRP version of a factory reset.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Success! I finally got the right list of Calls settings, and com.android.phone didn't crash when I checked the Phone app! And I'm on a 7.1.2 build! And it only took a half dozen wipes and 3 or 4 clean flashes! Jeezus Christ!

Oh, yeah. There's a new 7.1.2 build with an April 5, 2017 security patch level. Expect an update.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Awesome! Glad to have you back in the ROMing world. I knew it wasn't the ROM and was hoping you would persevere with trouble shooting.

What I mean for doing multiple wipes in a row is what I described in post #9 within this thread. I repeat step 5 multiple times (usually 2-3) in a row before moving to step 6. Maybe my experience was a placebo but I have made it a habit now.

Out of curiosity what do you see for your APN name/settings for Fi? Is that managed with the Fi app or do you see it in the typical settings>more>cellular networks>Access Point Names?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Awesome! Glad to have you back in the ROMing world. I knew it wasn't the ROM and was hoping you would persevere with trouble shooting.
Thanks. I've gotta admit, I thought both you and the dev were full of beans about clean flashing being the solution, but all the wiping and flashing truly paid off. Now I'm a little spooked by the fact that others are complaining about dialer crashes and app crashes, while my dialer has been fine on both the last 7.1.x gapps and the latest 7.1.2 gapps package DE made available.

What I mean for doing multiple wipes in a row is what I described in post #9 within this thread. I repeat step 5 multiple times (usually 2-3) in a row before moving to step 6.
Good. That's what I figured. I actually don't know how many times I repeated that step, but 5 or 6 feels about right.

Out of curiosity what do you see for your APN name/settings for Fi? Is that managed with the Fi app or do you see it in the typical settings>more>cellular networks>Access Point Names?
Nada. Cellular networks is completely greyed out. Evidently Fi doesn't want anybody messing with APNs. The phone's even rooted with Magisck now, and still no access. And there's no access to APNs via the Fi app either.

One question, though: Do you use Titanium Backup? Is it still worth installing? A number of the latest reviews on the Play Store make it sound like the app needs updating.

ProBird79

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. I've gotta admit, I thought both you and the dev were full of beans about clean flashing being the solution, but all the wiping and flashing truly paid off. Now I'm a little spooked by the fact that others are complaining about dialer crashes and app crashes, while my dialer has been fine on both the last 7.1.x gapps and the latest 7.1.2 gapps package DE made available..
A clean flash will ALWAYS clear up any quirks or errors unless it is an actual ROM issue thus it happens to everyone else. So when you have problems and nobody else is that is a tell-tale sign that something is either borked with your install or something you installed is causing problems.

I saw the dialer issue but I haven't experienced it due to the dirty flash from the OTA. I haven't flashed the 7.1.2 Gapps and don't plan on it unless a clean install is in order. From what I've read the problem has been found and a solution was given.

There's no need to worry if issues do arise though since the developers (at least most) get a solution pretty quickly if it's detrimental.

One question, though: Do you use Titanium Backup? Is it still worth installing? A number of the latest reviews on the Play Store make it sound like the app needs updating.
I never have used it as I don't have/use that many apps so I'm fine with manually inputting what is needed. I've read of a few people having problems because you should only restore certain things (I can't remember the exact details though). Try it out though if you want. In the end it will be a good learning experience either way.

Remember, if you are having problems with a ROM and you determine a clean flash is needed ALWAYS start off with the ROM in stock form BEFORE you add any extras. If the previous problems are not there then you can add the extras one by one until you can potentially recreate the issue that you were having prior. These are good troubleshooting steps to isolate the potential problem.

Many people haphazardly install things, or don't install properly, then complain that a ROM doesn't work correctly without even trying to troubleshoot.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1