Nexus 6 not updating

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
The last update I got on my N6 is from November 5, 2016. Am I the only one who stopped getting updates? Why would this happen?

ODog2323

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen an update since October. Someone over at the Google support forums mentioned that an issue could be that some updates contain updates to the device's radio firmware, which have to be signed off on by carriers. If they choose not to approve said firmware, or just sit on it as a low priority, the update won't go through.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Did the updates stop after you switched to Fi? And is this a Verizon-branded Nexus 6? Most carrier-specific phones have to be on that carrier's network to get official system updates (although I'm not sure if that's the case even with carrier-specific Nexus phones).

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Did the updates stop after you switched to Fi? And is this a Verizon-branded Nexus 6? Most carrier-specific phones have to be on that carrier's network to get official system updates (although I'm not sure if that's the case even with carrier-specific Nexus phones).

It's Verizon branded. It happened after the switch.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
The timing of your switch to Fi is probably coincidental given that the carrier-induced blockade of 7.0 OTAs to Nexus 6s that ODog2323 described above has only recently been lifted.

If you haven't already, open your Project Fi app and look for a Maximize Coverage option to "fine tune" your SIM. Do that, and then contact Fi support through that same app and ask them why your phone's still stuck on whatever oldass build it's stuck on, and see what they tell you. It may take a while to get moved up the line to a rep who isn't exclusively working off a script, but it'll happen.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
The timing of your switch to Fi is probably coincidental given that the carrier-induced blockade of 7.0 OTAs to Nexus 6s that ODog2323 described above has only recently been lifted.

If you haven't already, open your Project Fi app and look for a Maximize Coverage option to "fine tune" your SIM. Do that, and then contact Fi support through that same app and ask them why your phone's still stuck on whatever oldass build it's stuck on, and see what they tell you. It may take a while to get moved up the line to a rep who isn't exclusively working off a script, but it'll happen.
Thanks. Had to go into settings, then clear cache and cache data to get to Maximize Coverage. Still have to call. Ugh. I have a Pixel XL coming in this Tuesday...But it would be nice to know what's going on.

kjharrison

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't make any sense for them to say that to you. Lots of other folks with the N6 are still getting updates.

And downgrades. I agree, but now have a Pixel XL so now the Nexus 6 will be used for reading ebooks in bed. I do want to know how they make the upgrade distinction. My N6 was bought via Verizon before my switch to Fi. That makes me wonder if it's still viewed as a Verizon phone.

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
We are not getting any more OS updates. 7.1.1 is end of line for us. We are still getting Security updates. But don't know for how much longer...

Mihail Vovk

Jun 15, 2017
Visit site
We are not getting any more OS updates. 7.1.1 is end of line for us. We are still getting Security updates. But don't know for how much longer...

My nexus 6 stopped receive updates autumn 2016.
I wrote bunch of tickets to google fi and nothing more than "there no updates yet, wait please".
But in December January and February nothing happened.

Then I decided to download updates from developer site and make updates by myself.
After this I never had any update anymore.
Last update indicated by security patch March 2017. This update were included into last update downloaded from site.
And no April update, no May or June update anymore.

So, if I need to update my phone, - I should download new version and update it. Also my phone data always loosing because of this.
Im very disappointed.

Also there many other issues.
THe phone are so slow. Its not charging from any wireless adapter.
Camera is so slow. When I starting google maps I barely can answer to phone call!
Looks like Im gonna downgrade to android 6 at least or maybe even to 5.
This is will be way enough for my father.
I ordered new Pixel for myself from google store. So, looking forward for good expirience.
I hope, everything will be great.
But my nexus 6 is total disappointing. I thought my old one galaxy s2 s3 s4 were total crap. But nexus 6 made them all.

By the way, my mother still using nexus 5 and everything great about this phone!
Everything fast and work as crazy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781