Are the 7.1.1 April update radios awesome, or what??

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping this isn't just a fluke or some fringe side benefit of joining Project Fi, but Wi-Fi on my 6 with the 45R baseband from the April update has been incredible. There's a weak and underpowered Wi-Fi set up in one of the departments in our store that my 6 never could connect to before. In fact, 75% of the time every phone that goes up against it (Samsungs, iPhones, a new 6P I just got today--whatever) fails at obtaining an IP address. After the April update, my 6 not only connects to it quickly; it also claims its signal strength is "Excellent" (which is either just a boldfaced lie or some rudeboy bragging).

Anybody else seeing improved performance?

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Im still on March but wondering if its just better on wifi or are you seeing better cell reception too?
That I couldn't tell you. I've never really paid attention to that because I've always gotten strong T-Mobile signals most everywhere, and now on Fi I get strong Sprint signals, too. I'll see if I can get any cell signal at all in my dungeon of a classroom tomorrow. That's always been an "Emergency calls only" black hole for both Tmo and Sprint.

EDIT: Well, I still can't say for sure the cell radio is any better. I had a weak LTE signal (-115 to -120s) as I walked the length of the building's basement, and that died as soon as I got to the instructor's station in my Mac lab. I was able to get various 3G and 2G signals from Sprint, so the phone never lapsed to "Emergency calls only" before I switched to airplane mode/Wi-Fi calling. But since the Sprint signal kept bouncing around among EHRDP, EVDO and 1xRTT, that may have only been a matter of time.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair