Portable Chargers

macewank

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
So, the Zaggsparq 2.0 that I have apparently won't charge the N7. Doesn't even register that it's trying to charge. LAME..

Anyone know of a good portable charger for this bad boy?

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
This one looks more portable than the one that came with it.
2.1 amp USB wall charger
And it provides enough amperage to actually charge the Nexus. (stock charger provides up to 2amps)

Edit: although the Zaggsparq 2.0 says it also supplies up to 2 amps, so in theory it should work, I assume you tried it in both the optimized and non-optimized ports, and with the cable that came with the Nexus.

MincerRay

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the N7 doesn't charge from just any charger. None of my 10W iPad chargers would work. The only charger that I found that worked happened to be an HP TouchPad charger. The TP also won't charge from anything else. So, the N7 shares the odd charger requirement with the TP. Not sure that helps...

b0bbert

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I noticed that the N7 doesn't charge from just any charger. None of my 10W iPad chargers would work. The only charger that I found that worked happened to be an HP TouchPad charger. The TP also won't charge from anything else. So, the N7 shares the odd charger requirement with the TP. Not sure that helps...

Just tried mine. I can charge with my Samsung GNexus charger and also my old my-touch travel charger with OEM and aftermarket USB cables. Oh at my computer also. So mine works with any charger. 2amp output is optimal but still charges with 1amp chargers at a slower rate.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
My Zagg Sparq 2.0 works just fine are you trying to use the incorrect port that is maded for apple products and optimized charging?

jabronimike

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Definitely curious if there is a portable battery that would work with the Nexus 7 that would not have to be plugged into the wall to charge it.

nicraz

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The Fuel Tank Duo charges my N7. It's available on Amazon if anybody is interested.

MajesticFlame

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you tried charging with the power off? I've noticed that adapters (wall plug, not battery) that won't charge when the device is powered on will do so if it's off. Not helpful if you want to use it when it's on but if you've got no other way to charge it...

mcmillaj001

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Have any of you tried charging with the power off? I've noticed that adapters (wall plug, not battery) that won't charge when the device is powered on will do so if it's off. Not helpful if you want to use it when it's on but if you've got no other way to charge it...

I think you nailed it. The "quick start" pamphlet says it will only charge when connected to a computer if asleep (powered off).

retsaw

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I think you nailed it. The "quick start" pamphlet says it will only charge when connected to a computer if asleep (powered off).
It say "sleep mode (screen off)" which means you don't actually have to switch it fully off to charge from a computer, this is probably because the screen uses as much or nearly as much power as a regular computer USB port will provide.

Also there was a thread about charging the Nexus 7 over at XDA, where someone determined it only shows as charging when the charger is wired correctly (that is with the data pins shorted to indicate it is a dumb charger), but it will charge whenever it receives power regardless of whether it indicates it is charging or not. To do a quick test of whether it is actually charging when it doesn't say it is, you could plug the charger into a kill-a-watt type power meter and see if it uses power when the Nexus 7 is plugged in.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
has anyone used one of these. it has a 2.1 amp output and 12,000 mAh just wondering if it will charge the 7 with the screen on as i use this for school.
Apple the new iPad Battery Pack - iPhone Battery Extender IMP1000 | NewTrent.com

I'd wondered the same thing, and emailed the manufacturer about it a while back. Here's the response I received:

Larry/Joseph, Aug 09 17:36 (PDT):
Hi Jeremy,
Thank you for your interest in our products. We wish to address your needs and provide the best solution available to resolve your issue as soon as possible.
For the Google Nexus 7, I would recommend either the iCarrier IMP120D, iCruiser IMP1000, or the iGeek IMP99D. These three have a special adapter that is included that will make your Nexus compatible with our chargers.
Your satisfaction is our #1 goal, for further questions or comments feel free to contact us.
Best Regards,
Larry
Customer Support

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Definitely curious if there is a portable battery that would work with the Nexus 7 that would not have to be plugged into the wall to charge it.

I got this one, pretty good deal, less than $50.

8000 mAh Portable Battery Charger | Aluratek

Not had any problems at all, it will charge my Nex7 and HTC Rezound at the same time. It has enough juice to charge both twice from 25% to full before it needs to be charged. It will take a good 8-9 hours to charge this up to full, so plan on that.

There is a youtube review that's pretty bad, but I got it anyway and it's been a charm and a lifesaver, had not one problem with it. But be careful what you try to charge with it, some devices with "suck" the juice from it (almost like shorting it out, but it isn't) and you lose your charge and have to start over for another 8-9 hours. Had it happen with a bluetooth headset with miniUSB port. So far everything with microUSB has worked.

Here's a good youtube review: Aluratek Portable 8,000 mAh Battery and Charger Unboxing - YouTube

And the bad one: Aluratek Portable 8,000 mAh Battery and Charger Review - Fail - YouTube

I got mine at TigerDirect Aluratek APB02F Portable Battery Charger - 8000 mAh, Built-in Lithium-Ion Battery, 2 USB Ports at TigerDirect.com

Oh and it shows charging from "plugged in" on the N7 and not USB charging.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo