Portenzo Case

l3ean5

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
Not gonna lie your case looks sick! Today marks 6 work days since i ordered my case. Hope it ships by the end of this week. I got the magnets and intellstand so we will see.

6 days for me too, but I just got the bare minimum. I'm jelly of those who got it already.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Just got mine and measured the spine. Its roughly 1" for the Alano. Feels great in the hand. Almost handmade belt leather material and thickness. I took a pic of what people referred to as "difficult to hit the power button". Also some pics of it next to a Bible for size contrast. Smell like sex. xD

SpenceJonas

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
6 days for me too, but I just got the bare minimum. I'm jelly of those who got it already.

Only 3 for me :( The suspense sucks haha

Can't wait to see some of you guys post your Alano cases. Would of loved to of gotten one of them but just couldn't justify paying that much for a case right now.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
FD2, Thanks for posting pics. How well does the intellistand work? This is one place where I think the leather may be at a disadvantage or at least require some time to break in.

Otherwise, it looks like a thing of beauty! Can't wait to get my hands on mine. My Alano should arrive tomorrow!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
As far at the intellistand goes, I believe it requires a break in period. Leather is thick and hasn't broken in yet. ;)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
8 buisness days so far have passed and still no word from portenzo on shipping. I hope my case gets finished by the end of the week or early next week.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
8 buisness days so far have passed and still no word from portenzo on shipping. I hope my case gets finished by the end of the week or early next week.
Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

They seem to be getting the vast majority of their cases out in their quoted timeframes. You won't hear anything from them directly until you get a shipping notification (though I suspect if there were going to be any substantive delay they'd let you know), and with having ordered an embossed case you're in the 7-10 day group - you should hear in the next couple of days; mine shipped on day 10 (and I'm watching for the FedEx truck now!)

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
Nice....hurry up and show me some pics.

It shipped on 10th day but is it a 3 day transit wait?

Depends on your shipping method. I used FedEx ground (Free Shipping) and got it 3 days later. Since we are both in CA I figure similar time frame.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Nice....hurry up and show me some pics.

It shipped on 10th day but is it a 3 day transit wait?

2 days for me...to the Washington DC area using FedEx Home Delivery. Ships from St. Louis. Mine shipped on Monday and is currently "out for delivery".

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My initial thoughts and impressions on Portenzo's Alano Tesoro case for Nexus 7

On packaging: The case was well-wrapped in sealed plastic, fitted into a hard cardboard shipping box. Minimal directions were enclosed (only two images on how to remove the tablet from the tray), where an image on how to 'use' the Intellistand might be helpful to some. It also included a nice, heavyweight screen cloth that is of a much higher quality than the run-of-the-mill microfiber cloths one normally sees - a nice extra touch.

On measurements:
Case dimensions: 8 1/8" long x 5 1/4" wide x 7/8" tall.
Case weight 8.1 oz (without tablet).

On tray and device seating: The tray itself is very, very smoothly cut and sanded. There is not a rough spot to be found. The Nexus 7 easily deposits into the tray and, once seated, will not come out on its own. Removal is very easy - where I had been concerned about the amount of pressure that would be required to extract it might, over time, apply stress to the tablet's casing, the force needed is modest enough that this is not a concern.

On ports: All ports are accessible. It is worth noting that the power and volume buttons on the right side do require you to pay attention when pressing them as, being on the curving base of the tablet, they are right next to the wood of the case. I find I need to use the tip of my finger rather than the pad, but that is not any real setback and will simply take a little time to get used to.

On Intellistand: The Intellistand functionality is fine now, and I suspect will become easier to set at a greater variety of landscape angles as the leather is broken in. Folded back flat, the tablet is at a comfortable angle for desktop typing.

On sound: I can't say that the sound is necessarily improved with the chamber, but it certainly doesn't suffer. Compared to other cases that simply have a cutout in the back through which the sound is allowed to pass (but still directed away from the listener), redirecting the sound forward seems a superior option.

On 'smart cover': This functions flawlessly.

On impact to connectivity: I suffered no loss of WiFi signal strength (in dbm). Bluetooth was similarly unaffected, as was NFC.

On the leather: the case, apart from the tray, is crafted from a single piece of leather. The attention to detail of the Tesoro pattern and design is breathtaking; this is a very high quality piece of leather that I expect to only become better as it matures with use. I can easily see why the Tesoro has a longer production cycle. With the cost associated with this purchase, I set very high standards in terms of what I expected, and am not disappointed one bit - the wait is well worthwhile, and the quality of the leather is first rate.

In summary: The Alano Tesoro is a beautifully worked case with a fantastic feel, look, and yes, scent. It is by no means inexpensive, and if you're looking purely for the better value case, the 'standard' models offer all the same functionality and protection. But if you don't mind investing a bit more in luxury, you'll be hard pressed to find anything better or even comparable to house your Nexus 7.

Last edited:

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Jeremy, thanks for the review! I am literally 10 minutes away from having mine and am passing the time reading your post! Mine was delivered about an hour ago to the valet service in my building. Just waiting for the valet office to reopen....

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
My only concern with the Alano case is the placement of the strap as on the base there is no wood. On the iPad case the strap leans on the wood on both the top and bottom parts. On the N7 one it only leans on the top. I hope the strap does not wear that are a down like a buckle does on your belt. If that strap was shifted slightly to the right it would sit on the wood (top and bottom).

Pretty sure non Alano cases don't have to worry about this as they are hard cover but leather gets bendy as it wears and I do not want a warped cover.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
My only concern with the Alano case is the placement of the strap as on the base there is no wood. On the iPad case the strap leans on the wood on both the top and bottom parts. On the N7 one it only leans on the top. I hope the strap does not wear that are a down like a buckle does on your belt. If that strap was shifted slightly to the right it would sit on the wood (top and bottom).

Pretty sure non Alano cases don't have to worry about this as they are hard cover but leather gets bendy as it wears and I do not want a warped cover.

The elastic, while securely holding the case closed, is not overly tight. It doesn't exert much pressure against the leather of the Alano (which, at 4mm thickness,isn't that malleable), so I don't envision that becoming an issue.

FD2

Shadow Lurker
Aug 9, 2009
Visit site
The elastic, while securely holding the case closed, is not overly tight. It doesn't exert much pressure against the leather of the Alano (which, at 4mm thickness,isn't that malleable), so I don't envision that becoming an issue.
I think my elastic is tighter than normal, cut shorter or placed a bit off cause it warped the leather some. I needed to play with the leather by bending it against the warping in order to fix. Might be mine only though.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Depends on your shipping method. I used FedEx ground (Free Shipping) and got it 3 days later. Since we are both in CA I figure similar time frame.
I did not have a free shipping option. I chose $9.99 Home FedEx shipping.

Last edited:

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I think my elastic is tighter than normal, cut shorter or placed a bit off cause it warped the leather some. I needed to play with the leather by bending it against the warping in order to fix. Might be mine only though.

My strap is not particularly tight, so it seems there may be some variation from case to case. No concerns (yet) about the leather.

Jeremy8000

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site

Contact them via Live Chat or email about it. Some variation is to be expected, but not to the extent that it would cause deformation of the case, and I'm sure they'll make it right.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae