1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default WiFi drives

Does anyone know if WiFi drives (such as this, available in 16/32/64GB flavors, or this 500GB beast, all compatible with Android OS) will work with a non-rooted N7?

Default Re: WiFi drives

Should work just fine without root.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Should work just fine without root.
    I agree!

I'm just hoping someone out there might have tried it and be able to confirm.

I have both of the above drives (Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB and Kingston Wi-Drive 32GB) and they work great with the N7 without root. Keep in mind that they use a browser-type file management or manufacturer app. That said, the Seagate can be hacked to function as a Samba drive -- acting as a drive letter on a computer -- without any need for a browser or file management software.

Sent from my Nexus 7

One important feature I hope is not overlooked is that the Kingston Wi-Drive allows for internet access along with access to the drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I have both of the above drives (Seagate GoFlex Satellite 500GB and Kingston Wi-Drive 32GB) and they work great with the N7 without root. Keep in mind that they use a browser-type file management or manufacturer app. That said, the Seagate can be hacked to function as a Samba drive -- acting as a drive letter on a computer -- without any need for a browser or file management software.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Do the SAMBAs run on Blue tooth?? Amazon.com: Acomdata Samba USB 2.0 3.5-Inch IDE/SATA Hard Drive Enclosure SMBXXXU2E-BLK (Black): Electronics
    Well, I must've been away too long because my feelings are dead. I feel no remorse....Frank White

What you linked is just an enclosure. So no the case alone without a drive does not use Bluetooth.

Samba is a free software re-implementation of the SMB/CIFS networking protocol