Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 20 of 20
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By paulsam7
  • 3 Post By zedorda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    dpridgen's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

    Default Stylii Thread

    I am finding that using a stylus is pretty effective at this screen size. Things are small, and I have big fingers. Plus I learned how to type on a smartphone with a pressure sensitive screen, so using a stylus gives that extra level of control...

    Anyway, let's hear your thoughts on the use of stylii, and which ones work well, and under what circumstances does it work well.

    The only one I have tried is Poetic's Capacitive Stylus Pen. It works well with general screen input and tracks swipes nicely. I haven't tried it with any art apps yet, so I don't know how accurate the tracking is yet.

    It feels okay in the hand. it is a hollow tube of aluminum with a chrome head and black balloon on the end to touch/write with on the screen. It definitely doesn't have the heft and balance of a good pen, but it works, and it includes a lanyard that plugs in to your earphone jack so you don't lose it. However if you tend to have earphones plugged in there, this won't help you.

    Overall, I'm kind of liking the stylus thing, but I may continue my search for the perfect one.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    I'm a stylus man, myself. I've got several New Trent microfiber-tip ones (click to expose/retract), and the Kuel H12 from SGP (twist to expose/retract the tip.)

    I thought the microfiber tips would be a good choice to eliminate drag - and I was right. BUT, it's almost TOO smooth. And the tip is very squishy, so it's hard to judge how much pressure you need to apply (well, very little.)

    What I like about the Kuel is that there is a nib inside the rubber tip, so you feel the contact of that point on the screen. And the rubber has a nice coating that keeps it from grabbing/stuttering as you drag. I read some pretty scathing reviews mentioning the two halves of the pen springing apart. Sounds to me like those folks had stripped the threads between the halves. Not an easy thing to do; you'd have to twist too far when closing it to even start unscrewing them, then do a bad job of putting them back together. Anyway, I don't have any problems with it, and it is my "go-to" stylus.
    lisa620 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    I use an Estylo a solid wood stylus with both ends usable. It is made for drawing on an Ipad but works with any tablet and does not even require contact with the screen. Works great with no oil all eco friendly materials.



    Thanked by 3:
    paulsam7, katetape and KitN like this.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    I just bought a Rocketfish stylus from Best Buy and love using it with FreeNote. I also find it easier to play Final Fantasy III
  5. #5  
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I use an Estylo a solid wood stylus with both ends usable. It is made for drawing on an Ipad but works with any tablet and does not even require contact with the screen.
    Thanks, zedorda! I checked this out, and I'm getting one (they have a few in stock & are shipping immediately.)

    Here's a link to more info: http://plai.tv/blog/estylo-11
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I use an Estylo a solid wood stylus with both ends usable. It is made for drawing on an Ipad but works with any tablet and does not even require contact with the screen. Works great with no oil all eco friendly materials.

    Click to view quoted image


    Click to view quoted image
    Where does one pick one of these up?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MonoControl View Post
    Where does one pick one of these up?
    I was part of the Kickstarter program for it. I have not seen them any where else.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I was part of the Kickstarter program for it. I have not seen them any where else.
    Oh well I will have to just look around then =]
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MonoControl View Post
    Oh well I will have to just look around then =]
    Go to the company's page, ( Plai - The Official Website ) and click the Contact link - send an email to Fernando that you'd like one if they have any in stock. Alternatively, email him directly: fernando_jimenez@plai.tv

    I put in an enquiry, and about a week later or less I got an email saying they had several of the black magnetic ones in stock for $20 + $5 shipping. It's en route to me now.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by paulsam7 View Post
    Go to the company's page, ( Plai - The Official Website ) and click the Contact link - send an email to Fernando that you'd like one if they have any in stock. Alternatively, email him directly: fernando_jimenez@plai.tv

    I put in an enquiry, and about a week later or less I got an email saying they had several of the black magnetic ones in stock for $20 + $5 shipping. It's en route to me now.
    Awesome thanks
  12. #12  
    jedilow's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Are there any stylii/programs that work well for people with small handwriting? Most that I see have rather large contact points (especially compared to a pen) and the couple of programs that I've tried have lines that are really thick, thus I can't read what I'm writing since it blends in with the rest of the letters.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jedilow View Post
    Are there any stylii/programs that work well for people with small handwriting? Most that I see have rather large contact points (especially compared to a pen) and the couple of programs that I've tried have lines that are really thick, thus I can't read what I'm writing since it blends in with the rest of the letters.
    I just got a new Nexus 7 and was looking around for some info on what's best. Ran across this video on YouTube reviewing five different stylii. The third or forth one has a laser type dot that makes some really fine lines.

    Thanked by:
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    That one looks so awesome! Thanks for sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I use an Estylo a solid wood stylus with both ends usable. It is made for drawing on an Ipad but works with any tablet and does not even require contact with the screen. Works great with no oil all eco friendly materials.

    http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...728_083302.jpg

    http://i1208.photobucket.com/albums/...728_083318.jpg
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    I use an Estylo a solid wood stylus with both ends usable. It is made for drawing on an Ipad but works with any tablet and does not even require contact with the screen. Works great with no oil all eco friendly materials.
    .. I didn't even realize such beautiful styli existed lol. just looked it up, and apparently it was only $8 +shipping on Kickstarter? damn, I need to look through Kickstarter more often :P

    I just have this $9 New Trent stylus with the retractable pen. I like it because it's short and light, though some may consider that a disadvantage.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    I use the Wacom Bamboo Stylus, well weighted, fairly good size for all but giant hands, as well as a smaller, replaceable nib for when they inevitably wear out instead of replacing the entire stylus.

    http://goo.gl/hLZwu (Amazon)
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    I like stylus on mine too, carnt find many apps though, I would love some apps like they do on the flyer/ note. I only got a cheap stylus to try it, I want a new one but most stylus from what I can see have think ends.

    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Agreed about the Wacom Bamboo Stylus. I've always loved their stylii and tablets. Good quality and the replaceable nib comes in handy.

    If you're serious about stylii, then I wouldn't cheap out with a Boxwave or something like that. It's better to avoid the headache and go with something comfortable and accurate with feedback.

    Quote Originally Posted by TimeHunter View Post
    I use the Wacom Bamboo Stylus, well weighted, fairly good size for all but giant hands, as well as a smaller, replaceable nib for when they inevitably wear out instead of replacing the entire stylus.

    http://goo.gl/hLZwu (Amazon)
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by katetape View Post
    Agreed about the Wacom Bamboo Stylus. I've always loved their stylii and tablets. Good quality and the replaceable nib comes in handy.

    If you're serious about stylii, then I wouldn't cheap out with a Boxwave or something like that. It's better to avoid the headache and go with something comfortable and accurate with feedback.
    Amazon.com: The Friendly Swede (TM) Bundle of 12 Long 15" Detachable Elastic Tether Strings / Lanyards for Stylus Pens - Microfiber Cloth & Retail Packaging: Kindle Store
    I like my boxwave with the mesh tip. It's heavy and long like a real pen. The mesh tip glides nicely, and at any angle. The attaching lines are made well.
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Stylii Thread

    Does kuel work with nexus 4 and 7?

Posting Permissions