The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
attachment.php

So I can't be the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that the official case for the Nexus 7 doesn't have a magnetic switch on it. I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only fella here who has been inspired after a 12 pack and decided to DIY. Thus, the SpiderPig case was born.

I took a $1.99 Homer Simpson refrigerator magnet (the cool one where he's holding SpiderPig)
attachment.php

Then I grabbed something sharp and pointy to cut a hole where I thought it needed to be. Because the magnet has a bunch of vinyl around it, I knew I could hide the hole if it needed enlarging. It did.
attachment.php

After some trial and error, and carving out my hole, I super glued the magnet to the front of the official TPU case. It's dried now, and works like a freaking charm.

GO GO SPIDERPIG!

dpridgen

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Does it turn the screen off when you fold the cover over to the back? This seems to be a common problem with some of the earlier sleep/wake cases.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
I was playing with fridge magnets last night and figured out just any wimpy one doesnt work, the letter ones were not strong enough even when put directly on the display but the ones in chip clips seems to be fine. So you might want to test to make sure it works before cutting any holes. I'm thinking i'm going to destroy a small hard drive get its magnet and from the back side of the front cover slice a place from the inside of the hinge to make a pocket for it. But still ticked these did not have it defaultly.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Interesting approach, I was gonna try this method (san simpson magnet) and just put some kinda sticker or something over a small strong magnet. Hopefully not needing to cut the case.

I wanted something a bit more discrete.

Jerry, is the flap solid? I was also thinking I could come in from the side on the side of the flap if it wasn't solid.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I was playing with fridge magnets last night and figured out just any wimpy one doesnt work, the letter ones were not strong enough even when put directly on the display but the ones in chip clips seems to be fine. So you might want to test to make sure it works before cutting any holes. I'm thinking i'm going to destroy a small hard drive get its magnet and from the back side of the front cover slice a place from the inside of the hinge to make a pocket for it. But still ticked these did not have it defaultly.

nice idea on the drive...didn't even think bout that. I have tons of them laying around.
if you have success with this post pics...thanks

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Why not just super glue a thin magnet strip to the inside of the case?

might scratch the screen?
and the strips don't seem strong enough...

i think tonight im gonna try just taping a hard drive magnet on the inside....using electrical tape should protect the screen well enough.

pahern

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried this back when I got my N7 and the case and had problems with the magnet shutting it off when you fold the cover back. I tried a variety of magnets, and the weakest one that was strong enough to trigger the switch when opening the case also triggered it when the cover was folded back.

Before doing anything permanent, try taping your magnet to the cover and then open it and fold it back to see if it shuts off your Nexus 7.

wraith404

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I tried this back when I got my N7 and the case and had problems with the magnet shutting it off when you fold the cover back. I tried a variety of magnets, and the weakest one that was strong enough to trigger the switch when opening the case also triggered it when the cover was folded back.

Before doing anything permanent, try taping your magnet to the cover and then open it and fold it back to see if it shuts off your Nexus 7.

Crap, you're right, it needs to be shielded.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma