Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case

So I can't be the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that the official case for the Nexus 7 doesn't have a magnetic switch on it. I'm also pretty sure I'm not the only fella here who has been inspired after a 12 pack and decided to DIY. Thus, the SpiderPig case was born.

I took a $1.99 Homer Simpson refrigerator magnet (the cool one where he's holding SpiderPig)

Then I grabbed something sharp and pointy to cut a hole where I thought it needed to be. Because the magnet has a bunch of vinyl around it, I knew I could hide the hole if it needed enlarging. It did.

After some trial and error, and carving out my hole, I super glued the magnet to the front of the official TPU case. It's dried now, and works like a freaking charm.

GO GO SPIDERPIG!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case-diy-magnet.jpg   The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case-diy-magnet-2.jpg   The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case-diy-magnet-3.jpg  
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 4:
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,120 Global Posts

Default Re: The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case

very cool...what does the inside flap look like?

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Does it turn the screen off when you fold the cover over to the back? This seems to be a common problem with some of the earlier sleep/wake cases.

And looks like a killer way to dress up a boring looking case!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Dude..... You are TALANTED ! :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Android Central Forums

That's awesome Jerry. The pig needs lipstick though. Maybe you could paint some on there. Oink

I was playing with fridge magnets last night and figured out just any wimpy one doesnt work, the letter ones were not strong enough even when put directly on the display but the ones in chip clips seems to be fine. So you might want to test to make sure it works before cutting any holes. I'm thinking i'm going to destroy a small hard drive get its magnet and from the back side of the front cover slice a place from the inside of the hinge to make a pocket for it. But still ticked these did not have it defaultly.

Great idea Jerry!!!
    Current: HTC One (M8), Pebble, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)
    Flames Wallpaper
    Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

that looks awful.
    droidman2177 and wraith404 like this.

Interesting approach, I was gonna try this method (san simpson magnet) and just put some kinda sticker or something over a small strong magnet. Hopefully not needing to cut the case.

I wanted something a bit more discrete.

Jerry, is the flap solid? I was also thinking I could come in from the side on the side of the flap if it wasn't solid.
    Nexus 4 / Nexus 7 / Transformer Prime
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Quote Originally Posted by milesmcever View Post
    I was playing with fridge magnets last night and figured out just any wimpy one doesnt work, the letter ones were not strong enough even when put directly on the display but the ones in chip clips seems to be fine. So you might want to test to make sure it works before cutting any holes. I'm thinking i'm going to destroy a small hard drive get its magnet and from the back side of the front cover slice a place from the inside of the hinge to make a pocket for it. But still ticked these did not have it defaultly.
    nice idea on the drive...didn't even think bout that. I have tons of them laying around.
    if you have success with this post pics...thanks
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

JaJaJa Good Job Jerry, Now watch take care of Apple patents sues...LOL
    Junkie

Global Posts
    935 Global Posts
    ROM
    Synergy Nightlies

Why not just super glue a thin magnet strip to the inside of the case?

Quote Originally Posted by TallyHo View Post
    Why not just super glue a thin magnet strip to the inside of the case?
    might scratch the screen?
    and the strips don't seem strong enough...

i think tonight im gonna try just taping a hard drive magnet on the inside....using electrical tape should protect the screen well enough.
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker

Hard drive magnet works great I used 1 with a 10 dollar iov case from Biglots other then the small lump it slid right in the seam on the case with the magnet closure.

Seriously? So now you have a gaping hole in the inside flap? And a bulging magnet on the front? This is ridiculous.

I tried this back when I got my N7 and the case and had problems with the magnet shutting it off when you fold the cover back. I tried a variety of magnets, and the weakest one that was strong enough to trigger the switch when opening the case also triggered it when the cover was folded back.

Before doing anything permanent, try taping your magnet to the cover and then open it and fold it back to see if it shuts off your Nexus 7.

I'm going to try this:

It's only a buck, is only 1/32" thick and about 2lb force. I'm hoping it's strong enough because it's thin enough to attach with some kind of sticker overcoat rather than boring the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by pahern View Post
    I tried this back when I got my N7 and the case and had problems with the magnet shutting it off when you fold the cover back. I tried a variety of magnets, and the weakest one that was strong enough to trigger the switch when opening the case also triggered it when the cover was folded back.

Before doing anything permanent, try taping your magnet to the cover and then open it and fold it back to see if it shuts off your Nexus 7.
    Crap, you're right, it needs to be shielded.
    Last edited by wraith404; 08-01-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by t3rabyte View Post
    Seriously? So now you have a gaping hole in the inside flap? And a bulging magnet on the front? This is ridiculous.
    He did say he was inspired after that 12-pack. So, yeah. Beer goggles work on women AND device cases.

Global Posts
    491 Global Posts

I was just sitting here looking at my file cabinet, I have at least a dozen of those magnetic business cards on it. I am wondering if one of these, or even a piece of one would be strong enough to work. I'd probably use shipping tape to attach it to the inside cover if I had one of these type cases.

Just a thought.
    Last edited by pegb856; 08-01-2012 at 02:13 PM.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    that looks awful.
    False. That looks awesome.

But to each their own.
    svfd757 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Quote Originally Posted by brandonx1000 View Post
    very cool...what does the inside flap look like?
    Covered it with grey felt from Walmart. Originally I had moleskin on the magnet, but the hole looked ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by PridgNYC View Post
    Does it turn the screen off when you fold the cover over to the back? This seems to be a common problem with some of the earlier sleep/wake cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by pahern View Post

I played around with a couple different things, and ended up putting metal tape (used for duct work) on some posterboard and sliding it behind the tablet. Cardboard worked as well, but it was thick and make it difficult to put the tablet in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    that looks awful.
    Quote Originally Posted by t3rabyte View Post
    Good thing neither of you have to use or look at it then, isn't it?
    But thanks for your insightful posts, filled with knowledge and wisdom.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    laurel25, glazedfaith and svfd757 like this.

The Shack sells very small magnets that work fine and are about the diameter of a ball point clicker. I made one for the case I purchased on Am_z_n. Works like a charm and its almost invisible. It has effect with the cover flipped over though.

So I tried a slightly different approach after being inspired by Jerry and others

I should say right off the bat that I now understand why this case might not have a magnet by default. Comments on that in a second.

Here's what I did.
    • Cannibalized almost every magnet in the kitchen to the amusement of my wife, ok not really.
    • Found that every magnet in the kitchen was either too strong (triggered the sensor from the rear when the cover was folded over) or too weak to trigger it on the front.
    • Cannibalized an old hard drive to get to its magnets.
    • Cut the magnet down to size with the cutter edge on a pair of pliers
    • Wrapped the small square mini magnet in electric tap to find the exact location of the senor.
    • Attached it to the cover.

It's working well but I do get some sensor off when the cover is folded back. It's manageable though. I probably could resolve that by cutting down the magnet a bit more or putting shielding on the back like Jerry suggested.

I have a few concerns though.
    • This creates a major pressure point on the glass that has me concerned that if anything pushes too hard against where the magnet is, it'll crack the screen.
    • It doesn't look very good.
    • The cover doesn't close completely flush, but that could be mitigated with a thinner magnet.

That first point will probably be the reason that I pull this off, but I didn't do any damage to the case so that's fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails The SpiderPig home-made magnet switch case-2012-08-01-18.40.01.jpg  
    Last edited by digitalslacker; 08-01-2012 at 06:23 PM.
    @digitalslacker
    +digitalslacker
    Thanked by:
    Jerry Hildenbrand likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast